Bottom panel icons not going away when app closed

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rogersa2k
Level 1
Level 1

Bottom panel icons not going away when app closed

Post by rogersa2k »

Ever since the update from LM 19.2 to 19.3 the icons on the bottom panel are not always going away after closing apps on different virtual desktops. I am using Cinnamon with the modern desktop layout. This is happening on both my desktop & laptop. If this is a known bug with a fix please point me in that direction.

How to reproduce:
* launch an app on desktop 1 such as terminal
* note that there is now a new icon at the bottom for the open terminal app
* change to virtual desktop 2 & launch terminal
* note that there is now a new icon at the bottom for the open terminal app
* change to virtual desktop 1
* note that the new terminal icon now has a '2' on it
* change to virtual desktop 2 and close the terminal app
* note that the open terminal icon is now gone
* change to virtual desktop 1 and note that the new terminal icon still has a 2 on it
* close the terminal app
* note that the icon is still there, unclosable, and pretty much worthless

Thanks,
Aaron
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LanceM

Re: Bottom panel icons not going away when app closed

Post by LanceM »

You can try a couple things. Right click an unopened icon and choose preferences>configure>hamburger menu>reload grouped....>and if needed, reset to defaults.
Also there is the option to right click the panel>troubleshoot>restart cinnamon.
lollocosta123

Post by lollocosta123 »

I have the same problem, i don't know why.
I just restart cinnamon ( right click on the dock->troubleshoot->restart cinnamon )
i9user
Level 1
Level 1

Post by i9user »

This problem is still there!! I cannot restart Cinnamon every time I close a window! This is annoying as hell! And I never had this before with cinnamon. It is ever since I moved to the latest version 20.1!
Grouping icons does seem to solve it though. But this is really a big error in something as important as a panel! That is like the most important thing of a desktop and the reason why I use cinnamon instead of Ubuntu.

Return to “Cinnamon”