reset certain settings to improve performance

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zolstarym
Level 1
Level 1

reset certain settings to improve performance

Post by zolstarym »

Currently in cinnamon I get poor performance. Dragging windows around is very choppy and will freeze, and benchmarking 3d games gives about 10fps lower than with other WMs and that performance seems to go down over time/suspend/resumes. I created a new user with default cinnamon settings and noticed that I could drag windows around in that without it being choppy as that user. So with that in mind, it seems that my cinnamon configuration is causing some problems. Looking in ~/.config I don't see anything cinnamon related other than cinnamon-session which is empty, and ~/.local/cinnamon seems to have installed applets and desklets but no settings.
How do I restore cinnamon to default values? Is there a way to reset everything except for my panels so I don't have to reconfigure them? Are there certain settings that are know to cause poor performance/problems?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: reset certain settings to improve performance

Post by smurphos »

Hi welcome to the forums.

Most of Cinnamon's settings are stored in the dconf backend. You can explore this with a GUI app called dconf-editor or with the command linetools gsettings or dconf.

e.g try these commands to list current settings.

Code: Select all

gsettings list-recursively org.cinnamon
or

dconf dump /org/cinnamon/
Let me have a think about an easy way to reset everything quickly except the panels. I just quickly tried a way I thought would work and lost some of my applet's individual settings....doh! :roll: :mrgreen:

In the meantime I'd maybe take a look at your applets (and desklets or extensions) for a possible culprit. System monitoring applets are often implicated in impairing performance on some hardware
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
zolstarym
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zolstarym »

I eventually found the culprit to be the panel autohide option. That is completely broken performance wise and disabling that seems to have restored performance.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Interesting - I use autohiding panels with no issues. I'm intrigued as to the applet content of the auto-hiding panel.

Can you report the output of

dconf read /org/cinnamon/enabled-applets
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
zolstarym
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zolstarym »

It doesn't seem to be based on applets. I can add some empty panels, set them to intelligently auto-hide, then click and swiftly drag windows around and they don't move smoothly, freezing in place as I move the mouse around for a few hundred milliseconds. From what I can tell having multiple monitors exaggerates this effect. That seems to be related to the loss of framerate.
smurphos wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:33 am Interesting - I use autohiding panels with no issues. I'm intrigued as to the applet content of the auto-hiding panel.

Can you report the output of

dconf read /org/cinnamon/enabled-applets
['panel1:left:0:menu@cinnamon.org:0', 'panel2:right:4:show-desktop@cinnamon.org:1', 'panel1:right:6:systray@cinnamon.org:3', 'panel1:right:7:xapp-status@cinnamon.org:4', 'panel1:right:5:notifications@cinnamon.org:5', 'panel4:right:2:printers@cinnamon.org:6', 'panel4:right:1:removable-drives@cinnamon.org:7', 'panel1:right:11:keyboard@cinnamon.org:8', 'panel4:right:0:network@cinnamon.org:9', 'panel1:right:15:sound@cinnamon.org:10', 'panel1:right:13:power@cinnamon.org:11', 'panel1:right:14:calendar@cinnamon.org:12', 'panel2:right:3:workspace-switcher@cinnamon.org:13', 'panel1:left:2:panel-launchers@cinnamon.org:21', 'panel1:left:3:spacer@cinnamon.org:23', 'panel1:right:3:spacer@cinnamon.org:24', 'panel1:right:2:panel-launchers@cinnamon.org:27', 'panel1:center:0:panel-launchers@cinnamon.org:28', 'panel1:left:4:panel-launchers@cinnamon.org:29', 'panel3:right:0:window-list@cinnamon.org:30', 'panel2:left:0:window-list@cinnamon.org:31', 'panel4:left:0:window-list@cinnamon.org:32', 'panel1:left:1:placesCenter@scollins:33', 'panel1:right:0:redshift@marvel4u:34']
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

OK thanks. There's nothing in the applet list that would cause issues. I don't have a multi-monitor setup.

Out of interest what's your inxi -Gxxxz output?
zolstarym
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zolstarym »

$ inxi -Gxxxz
Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti] driver: nvidia v: 440.64
bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:1c82
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: nvidia
resolution: 1920x1080~75Hz, 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 440.64
direct render: Yes
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Thank-you. I was just wondering if you were running in Software Rendering mode - you are not... :)

Return to “Cinnamon”