How to disable Alt to drag windows from anywhere

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
obiwac

How to disable Alt to drag windows from anywhere

Post by obiwac »

Hi all,

I already posted this in the Cinnamon forum but I got no response so I'm posting it here.

So in alot of window managers out there, you can press a key (generally the Super or Windows key) to enable you to move a window around by dragging it from anywhere on said window. This is very useful and I for one use this all the time instead of trying to aim for the usually very small window title bar. But in Cinnamon, this key seems to be mapped to Alt. This is a problem for me, as many applications use Alt+click for certain applications, and Cinnamon blocks this. I tried looking around in the keyboard shortcut settings with no luck :cry: Is there any way to change this through the settings, or is it buried as a hard-coded value somewhere in Cinnamon's source?

Thanks for your time!
Last edited by SMG on Wed May 04, 2022 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Locking 2 yr old topic.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: How to disable Alt to drag windows from anywhere

Post by Moem »

obiwac wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:24 am I already posted this in the Cinnamon forum but I got no response so I'm posting it here.
Mod note:
I've deleted the duplicate post; if you want a post moved, just ask a moderator (a good way is by reporting your own post; use the button that looks like !) and we'll be happy to check it out.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You can set it to Super+click with this command:
gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.wm.preferences mouse-button-modifier '<Super>'

Or to disable it:
gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.wm.preferences mouse-button-modifier ''

To see the current setting use:
gsettings get org.cinnamon.desktop.wm.preferences mouse-button-modifier

I think changes to this setting take effect immediately but you may have to restart Cinnamon (right-click the panel, select Troubleshoot > Restart Cinnamon — this keeps your programs running, just restarts Cinnamon).

You can also install the package dconf-tools to get Dconf Editor, a GUI for editing these settings.
s_k
Level 1
Level 1

Post by s_k »

Menu->System Settings->Preferences.Windows->Behaviour->Special key to move and resize windows
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Dôh :)
obiwac

Post by obiwac »

Moem wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:42 am
obiwac wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:24 am I already posted this in the Cinnamon forum but I got no response so I'm posting it here.
Mod note:
I've deleted the duplicate post; if you want a post moved, just ask a moderator (a good way is by reporting your own post; use the button that looks like !) and we'll be happy to check it out.
Oh right, sorry about that!
Last edited by obiwac on Thu May 14, 2020 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
obiwac

Post by obiwac »

xenopeek wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:14 am You can set it to Super+click with this command:
gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.wm.preferences mouse-button-modifier '<Super>'

Or to disable it:

I think changes to this setting take effect immediately but you may have to restart Cinnamon (right-click the panel, select Troubleshoot > Restart Cinnamon — this keeps your programs running, just restarts Cinnamon).

You can also install the package dconf-tools to get Dconf Editor, a GUI for editing these settings.
s_k wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:22 am Menu->System Settings->Preferences.Windows->Behaviour->Special key to move and resize windows
These two work! Thanks alot!
chepecarlos

Post by chepecarlos »

Thank you, it helped me a lot :)

xenopeek wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:14 am You can set it to Super+click with this command:

Or to disable it:

porphyrogennitos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by porphyrogennitos »

xenopeek wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:14 am gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.wm.preferences mouse-button-modifier '<Super>'
How can I revert this?
legacypowers
Level 4
Level 4

Post by legacypowers »

porphyrogennitos wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:28 pm
xenopeek wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:14 am gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.wm.preferences mouse-button-modifier '<Super>'
How can I revert this?
i think
gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.wm.preferences mouse-button-modifier '<Alt>'
Terminal - zsh wrote: ╭─legacy@forums.linuxmint.com
╰─➜ _
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Yes. Alt key is the default modifier, as described in topic start, so run the same command with <Super> replaced by <Alt> as legacypowers shows.

Return to “Cinnamon”