how do you get cinnamon to look as traditional style?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Minty_64
Level 2
Level 2

how do you get cinnamon to look as traditional style?

Post by Minty_64 »

fairly simple question however I'm not expecting an easy answer but how do you get cinnamon to look as traditional style as opposed to the modern style Without going threw the welcome screen?

the reason I'm asking is on other distributions if I install cinnamon I'm stuck with the modern theme and unable to find out how to switch.

so my question is how, or at least can I switch from modern to traditional on other DE's? is switching to the traditional theme in cinnamon a linux mint only thing?

anyway looking forward to feedback!

iain_33
Level 3
Level 3

Re: how do you get cinnamon to look?

Post by iain_33 »

Hello minty_64

Have a look here, might answer your question:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=321872
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on Lenovo Legion Y540 laptop (2020)
Linux Mint 19.3 Mate on HP G70 laptop (2009)

smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Re: how do you get cinnamon to look as traditional style?

Post by smurphos »

Hi,

Whilst the command in the linked topic will work fine for Mint, other other Distros the theme's referenced (Mint-X and Linux Mint) may not be available. You can still change the panel layout though and skip the theme changes with the command below.

Command assumes at least Cinnamon 4.4 and is a single copy and paste into the terminal. It will reset any other panel modifications / applet configs that have already been applied.

Code: Select all

dconf write /org/cinnamon/panels-enabled "['1:0:bottom']"
dconf write /org/cinnamon/panels-height "['1:27']"
dconf write /org/cinnamon/panel-zone-icon-sizes '[{"left":0,"center":0,"right":0,"panelId":1}]'
dconf write /org/cinnamon/enabled-applets "['panel1:left:0:menu@cinnamon.org','panel1:left:1:show-desktop@cinnamon.org','panel1:left:2:panel-launchers@cinnamon.org','panel1:left:3:window-list@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:0:systray@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:1:xapp-status@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:2:keyboard@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:3:notifications@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:4:printers@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:5:removable-drives@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:6:user@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:7:network@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:8:sound@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:9:power@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:10:calendar@cinnamon.org']"
cinnamon --replace > /dev/null 2>&1 & disown
To be honest if you know your way around the Applets settings module and the Panel settings module changing from 'Modern' to 'Traditional' manually using the GUI is a 30 second job - the important bit is swapping out the grouped-window-list applet and replacing it with the panel-launcher applet and the window-list applet.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Cinnamon”