Can MATE be fallback mode instead of GNOME

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
urdrwho
Level 4
Level 4

Can MATE be fallback mode instead of GNOME

Post by urdrwho »

I was playing around and logged out to check out what fallback mode looks like. It is Gnome Metacity fallback mode. I was wondering if MATE could be made fallback mode?
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Can MATE be fallback mode instead of GNOME

Post by Hoser Rob »

Gnome Fallback isn't a setting of Gnome, it's a different DE. So no.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Cinnamon and Gnome have the compositor built in. They can't be "deactivated". You either run the default session with compositor enabled, or run a session with a non composited DE.

If you want DE where the compositor can toggled manually at will, MATE, XFCE or even KDE would be better choices.
urdrwho
Level 4
Level 4

Post by urdrwho »

Hoser Rob wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:53 am
Maybe I din't clearly pose my question. Yes I know GNOME is a DE and not a setting.

But I was wondering how or GNOME was the choice?

When I log out and go to log back in I can -

Select Desktop Environment
Cinnamon (Default)
Cinnamon (Software Rendering)
GNOME flashback (Metacity)

So my question really is if MATE could be there instead of GNOME? I can only assume this was all done by default when I installed Cinnamon.
Last edited by urdrwho on Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

urdrwho wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:21 am
So my question really is if MATE could be there instead of GNOME? I can only assume this was all done by default when I installed Cinnamon.
I think it would pose some problems. Cinnamon is based on GTK3 and MATE on GTK2, I think.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

urdrwho wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:21 am
Hoser Rob wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:53 am
Maybe I din't clearly pose my question. Yes I know GNOME is a DE and not a setting.

But I was wondering how or GNOME was the choice?

When I log out and go to log back in I can -

Select Desktop Environment
Cinnamon (Default)
Cinnamon (Software Rendering)
GNOME flashback (Metacity)

The only way to do that is to manually install MATE desktop and select it at login from the session chooser. As always, caveats apply when mixing to different DEs.
urdrwho
Level 4
Level 4

Post by urdrwho »

[/quote]
The only way to do that is to manually install MATE desktop and select it at login from the session chooser. As always, caveats apply when mixing to different DEs.
[/quote]

Nah not going to install MATE. But is doesn't make me wonder about GNOME (another DE) being installed. Having GNOME DE is a second DE and should that be there or not?

Right next to me is a laptop that has 20 installed. I just logged out and I have no option to log into a GNOME DE.

I went out to the kitchen computer that has 20 installed. Logged out and I have no option to log into a GNOME DE.

So how did it get on this computer? I'm the only one who has access to it. Odd??
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

The plot thickens! Time to clear a bit of HDD space & test LM20 Cinnamon in a VB I think. What I had suspected is that GNOME is used as fallback as it is most similar to Cinnamon in the way it operates, but if it's not actually there on other installs, who knows?
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
urdrwho
Level 4
Level 4

Post by urdrwho »

BG405 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:08 pm
The plot thickens! Time to clear a bit of HDD space & test LM20 Cinnamon in a VB I think. What I had suspected is that GNOME is used as fallback as it is most similar to Cinnamon in the way it operates, but if it's not actually there on other installs, who knows?
As far as I can tell the system is running fine and I know from experience that I should just let the plot thicken. But I'll probably not do that and I'll mess things up.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

BG405 wrote:
Let me save you the bother. A quick trip through Synaptic will tell you that Cinnamon is based on Gnome. If you kill Gnome, you kill your entire DE, consequently much of Gnome must be installed for Cinnamon to function.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
urdrwho
Level 4
Level 4

Post by urdrwho »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:57 pm
BG405 wrote:
Let me save you the bother. A quick trip through Synaptic will tell you that Cinnamon is based on Gnome. If you kill Gnome, you kill your entire DE, consequently much of Gnome must be installed for Cinnamon to function.
Earlier in the day I did do that and it is the reason I have yet to do any killer removal commands.

I still don't know why I have a GNOME log on capability but I guess it doesn't hurt anything.

So I'll just leave my fingers off the keyboard and go play guitar.
mtwebster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mtwebster »

Just to clarify what a default Cinnamon ISO install should look like:

Two entries in the login screen - Cinnamon and Cinnamon with no GPU acceleration or special effects. Graphical issues are a typical problem for Cinnamon, so this can come in useful at times.

There is a barebones MATE+Metacity desktop installed as a true fallback for times when Cinnamon crashes. This is launched then, so the user has some minimal desktop to troubleshoot things. This fallback desktop is not available from the login screen.

I think many versions ago, gnome flashback may have been used instead of mate as a fallback. I believe that was available from the login screen. Cinnamon's dependencies still allow for gnome-panel. So if you've been upgrading from that (or restoring package lists post-install) for long enough, some of that quite possibly has been grandfathered into your system.

Return to “Cinnamon”