Black screen ""Unable to launch “cinnamon-session-cinnamon” X session --- “cinnamon-session-cinnamon” "

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
victorkyochi
Level 1
Level 1

Black screen ""Unable to launch “cinnamon-session-cinnamon” X session --- “cinnamon-session-cinnamon” "

Post by victorkyochi »

Hello,

Brief history of how I got to the problem:
I had MINT Cinnamon version 18 installed and upgraded to version 20 by the system itself. Everything was fine, but I noticed that the cinnamon-settings sound was not working, as I could not open the audio settings and an error message appeared.

I thought it was a broken package, so I tried to use this tutorial: https://sempreupdate.com.br/corrigir-pa ... inux-mint/

I believe the problem happened when I typed the command
$ sudo fuser -cuk / var / lib / dpkg / lock

The screen went black and now when starting linux is just a black screen with a little window written:

Unable to launch “cinnamon-session-cinnamon” X session --- “cinnamon-session-cinnamon” not found; falling back to default session.
[Okay]

I searched on forums and tried a few things:

1. I tried to enter recovery mode and perform the “Repair broken packages”.
It ran smoothly, but it didn't work.

2. I tried the command

sudo apt-get update

Several messages appeared:
Failed to fetch http: //mint-packages.c3sl.ufpr.br ....
Failed to fetch http: //ubuntu.c3sl.ufpr.br ....
Failed to download some index files. They were ignored or the old ones were used instead.

3. I tried the command

sudo apt-get install nemo

nemo is already the newest version

4. I tried the command

sudo apt-get install cinnamon

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have requested an impossible situation or, if you are using unstable distribution, that some required packages have not been created yet or have been removed from "Incoming".
The following packages have conflicting dependencies:
Cinnamon: It depends: Cinnamon-control-center but it is not installed
Depends: python3-tinycss but not installed

Impossible to fix problems, you kept (hold) broken packages.

5. I tried the command
sudo apt-get install -f

I would love to solve the problem without formatting, I have many programs and files in use. I appreciate the help :|
blackcarajillo
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Black screen ""Unable to launch “cinnamon-session-cinnamon” X session --- “cinnamon-session-cinnamon” "

Post by blackcarajillo »

It could be related to the upgrade to Mint 20.

First let us have a look at your sources list:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
Please post any terminal output in code brackets for better readability.
blackcarajillo
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Black screen ""Unable to launch “cinnamon-session-cinnamon” X session --- “cinnamon-session-cinnamon” "

Post by blackcarajillo »

If you upgraded to version 20 than you should have 'ulyana' and 'focal fossa' in your sources list but that is not the case. Something went clearly wrong.

Before I would proceed I would make a backup of all your important data and then try to use Timeshift. Did you set it up by any chance when you installed Mint 18? With Timeshift you can go back in time to a previous functioning snapshot of your system. I cannot remember if it was already in 18.

Otherwise I would try to change the sources list to reflect Mint 20 and then do an upgrade and try to solve the problem. It could be messy and you would follow commands and using only the terminal to 'rescue' your system but without guarantee. Though it is possible.

First I would try to remember which packages or programs did you install outside the repositories, especially from PPAs. If you can remember them, post them here and we will remove them one by one.

I could go on but I will need your confirmation and be aware it is weekend here so I am probably not too quick to respond but I definitely will.

Edit: If you cannot remember the name of the PPAs, we can have a quick look at it with this command:

Code: Select all

inxi -r
It will show us every repository added to your system.

Return to “Cinnamon”