Weird bug during Youtube video playback

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ReyJohnson
Level 1
Level 1

Weird bug during Youtube video playback

Post by ReyJohnson »

Hello. I have recently noticed a really weird glitch.

During the playback of video on Youtube I can see LinuxMint logo in the background.
At first I thought it was the transparency effect and it was a wallpaper but when I changed wallpaper, same effect remained.

I tried rebooting, refreshing the page and etc. Nothing helps.

However, I also tried switching browser to Chromium and to my surprise, Chromium did not have this same issue, so it makes me think this is firefox related.
I don't really like chromium and would love to keep using my firefox, so please help me out here.

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Weird bug during Youtube video playback

Post by mikeflan »

Do you see Jesus in your morning toast? :lol:
Just kidding. I see the logo too. Very strange.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

-- Do you also see that logo in the background of using vlc to play a locally stored movie or video too? That is some next-level weird stuff man. --
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
ReyJohnson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ReyJohnson »

motoryzen wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:43 am -- Do you also see that logo in the background of using vlc to play a locally stored movie or video too? That is some next-level weird stuff man. --
I haven't tried the VLC player. However, I tried using Chrome on exact same Youtube video and the logo wasn't there anymore.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Almost seems like burn in, but we know it's not that from Chrome not showing it.

If you open a mostly white page of anything full screen, then switch to Firefox, is the logo gone?
ReyJohnson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ReyJohnson »

MrEen wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:41 pm Almost seems like burn in, but we know it's not that from Chrome not showing it.

If you open a mostly white page of anything full screen, then switch to Firefox, is the logo gone?

What I did -> downloaded full white colour wallpaper -> opened it in image viewer -> waited 10s -> switched to video.
No result, the logo is still there.

Also, I have changed the wallpaper and tried playing the video which resulted in a new logo showing.
I tried changing wallpaper to full black colour which gave me clean picture now. - This, as well as the fact that Chrome doesn't show this, makes me think of some possible transparency effect?
gaiusbonus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Weird bug during Youtube and other video playback

Post by gaiusbonus »

I just found this post and so I will not start an new one.
I have this problem with a customer, where I switched several computers from windows to Mint.
:shock: Writing this post I had another problem with a blinking background over Firefox. I made a video and will post a link later...

I tried to get rules, under what circumstances the logo bug can be reproduced.
First I changed the background to a test image: https://www.tillintallin.de/wp-content/ ... 0x1200.jpg
I tested with a nice violet test video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec_-uzReCu0
I made screenshots and searched for the background in images where I could not see it with my eyes.
Result:
The ghost image can be seen to different strength with different window sizes.
In full screen mode I can not see the image.
The ghost image appears only if the video is playing.
It disappears when you pause the video.
A new installed virtual box machine has the same bug, so I do not think it has to do with special hardware or video driver.
I even found the bug with other video sources in Firefox: https://vimeo.com/63231754

Hopefully someone has an idea for a solution that does not restrict the sceptical windows switchers in their choice of background image.
I don't want to step back because of such superficial problems.
But for the acceptance, the experience and the subconscious feeling are also important ...

I try to find time to search the right source code to search in for the bug...
Attachments
pause.jpg
pause.jpg (30.91 KiB) Viewed 819 times
play.jpg
play.jpg (36.98 KiB) Viewed 819 times
gaiusbonus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gaiusbonus »

the link to the bug-video I had while writing the previous post: https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/549224487
I have no idea what that is. Cant' reproduce it at the moment. I saw something like this before...

Return to “Cinnamon”