Cinnamon Clock & Calendar App. Improvement Suggestion

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jungle
Level 3
Level 3

Cinnamon Clock & Calendar App. Improvement Suggestion

Post by jungle »

When using Cinnamon I only have the option of putting in my computer location which sets the time (unless I am missing something).

When in MATE I can enter in my home location and the locations of family and friends in other locations/timezones and they all show beautifully.

Is there any way of getting the same clock app functionality in Cinnamon that you get in MATE?

If not, then this would be a good improvement to Cinnamon for a future release.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Cinnamon Clock & Calendar App. Improvement Suggestion

Post by spamegg »

jungle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jungle »

Thank you for the GitHub suggestion. The following is information provided by a GitHub contributor about a possible solution to enhancing the Calendar in LinuxMint Cinnamon.

The following relates to a Calendar applet for Cinnamon.

https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/329

UUID: calendar@ccprog

README
This applet is a fork of Cinnamon's own calendar. It adds the capability to mark public holidays in the calendar panel in addition to the weekend days. Like the World Clock calendar, it has the capability to display additional time zones.
Choose the Country and region for which to show the public holidays in the applet "Calendar" settings page. Add timezones to display in the applet "World Clocks" settings page.
The holiday data are obtained from the webservice Enrico by Kayaposoft.com.
Enrico Service 2.0 is a free service written in PHP providing public holidays for several countries. You can use Enrico Service to display public holidays on your website or in your desktop application written in any programming language.
Enrico Service 2.0 is an open-source software licensed under the MIT License so you can study, contribute, change or use it. See Enrico source code on Github.
See here for a list of supported countries and its regions. It needs to be noted that each change to their list needs to be reflected by an update to this applet. While I will try to keep track, if you notice something missing in the applet that the service offers, let me know about it.
Both the list of supported countries and the actual holiday data are provided by Enrico. If you find errors or have suggestions, please contact them directly at enrico@kayaposoft.com or raise an issue at Github.
If you find bugs in the applet itself or know about other sources of holiday information that can be included as webservices, please tell me about them.
About Events and Holidays
Most people using calendars today have adopted the logic behind the iCalendar format (RFC 5545). Applications using it may gloss over that, but the available categories for things to be entered in a calendar are limited to: event, to-do, journal, free/busy and alarm.
Holidays do not really fit any of those. And because of that, they mostly get entered as all-day (probably recurring) events, without any more distinction from the rest.
Suppose your calendar mentions someone's birthday. You will add it to your calendar as a whole-day event. If the calendar also mentions your country's National Holiday, both have no distinguishing feature that would make it possible to mark one and not the other as a non-working day.
This applet takes the notion of a non-working day, which could be a weekend day, a public holiday, or a religious observance (including the latter is not yet implemented), and gives them all the same visual marker. Events are not marked, or if they would be in a future version, they would need a separate representation to display the richer information attached to them. (Things like location, start and end time or participants.)
So, as it stands, holidays and events need to be separate data sources, and sources that provide data in an iCalendar format are not fit to be used as source for public holidays.

Adopting this is beyond my computer skills but it may offer an option that the LinuxMint Cinnamon development team can have a look at and if suitable include it in future Cinnamon upgrades.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

jungle wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:52 am Is there any way of getting the same clock app functionality in Cinnamon that you get in MATE?
Sure. Just replace the standard clock applet by the World Clock applet. Mind you, I have no idea what it looks like in MATE, but this way you will get to see clocks for different time zones of your choice.

worldclock.png

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
jungle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jungle »

Thank you. Did not realise how easy it was to get a World Clock in Cinnamon via the Applet offerings.

Have used that applet to replace the standard clock/date application in LinuxMint Cinnamon and in LinuxMint LMDE. Just what I needed.

I would still like to see this applet (or the one that provides this function in LinuxMint Mate) provided as the standard clock/date applet in LinuxMint Cinnamon and LMDE. The way it works in MATE is slightly easier and it provides more time options (e.g. Edinburgh in Scotland is available in the MATE clock but not in the Cinnamon applet which provides London).

Be great to see the MATE clock/calendar provided in all other LinuxMint operating systems.

I will not mark this as SOLVED until I see the MATE clock/date function provided as standard in Cinnamon and LMDE.

Return to “Cinnamon”