windows user first install

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TinSoldier
Level 1
Level 1

windows user first install

Post by TinSoldier »

3 major problems incountered
1: Being an old user from windows DOS days, and having not perfect vision, The screen resolution & color scheme force me to use a magnifying glass.
2: A warning box opens telling me about mounted drives and asks if i want to unmount these drives to allow resizing. ( this option alone will cause many windows users to leave and rethink installing linux) just because they don`t know what mounting or unmounting is and if its required or not.
3: next, another box pops open and informs you that one or more drives will be repartitioned.
This one option will also cause a windows user to back away and say NO, atleast if they are smart, cause i personally wont take the chance of distroying my windows install.
The isue here is, how can ANY windows user figure out what drive ( sgdy2 ) refers to.

In my case i was worned 2 drives would be formatted.

i backed away from the install and rebooted into windows.

Until linux can refer to drives in some way a windows user would understand, there's a very good possibility a careless user will screw up their windows system, or as i did, just abort installing and walk away.

Having to learn linux to install linux is kind of a backward process to me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: windows user first install

Post by kc1di »

It is true there is a learning curve with Linux. It's not the same as windows. But that's it's attractiveness also. why would you want to install a system that is the same as windows. Best advise for installing Mint or any linux in dual boot is make sure you have good off machine backups of your important stuff, Mistakes do happen. Then if you want to try linux run the live version for a few days to get acquainted with the system and how things are done. Or run it in a virtual box session.
If you plan on dual booting here is a good tutorial on how to do that.
https://itsfoss.com/guide-install-linux ... t-windows/
Also for the visually impaired Mint offer Accessibility modes under the control panel.
Only you can decide for yourself if it's worth the effort in the end. For you it may not be.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

TinSoldier wrote: ... informs you that one or more drives will be repartitioned.
Hard Disk Partitions Explained
TinSoldier
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TinSoldier »

kc1di wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:24 am It is true there is a learning curve with Linux. It's not the same as windows. But that's it's attractiveness also. why would you want to install a system that is the same as windows. Best advise for installing Mint or any linux in dual boot is make sure you have good off machine backups of your important stuff, Mistakes do happen. Then if you want to try linux run the live version for a few days to get acquainted with the system and how things are done. Or run it in a virtual box session.
If you plan on dual booting here is a good tutorial on how to do that.
https://itsfoss.com/guide-install-linux ... t-windows/
Also for the visually impaired Mint offer Accessibility modes under the control panel.
Only you can decide for yourself if it's worth the effort in the end. For you it may not be.
Thankyou kc1di for the reply.

The vision issue were in the setup process.
When using the live image i found and was able to adjust things to my liking.
Also i used one of itsfoss's dual boot pages as a reference.

The issue is how linux identifies harddrives and expecting a windows user to understand which drive is which.

If i had the programming prowess i would create a windows based installer just for windows users to install linux (as dual boot by default), this "should" ease the transition.
TinSoldier
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TinSoldier »

JoeFootball wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:17 am
TinSoldier wrote: ... informs you that one or more drives will be repartitioned.
Hard Disk Partitions Explained
I understand partitioning, but thankyou for the reply...
The issue is, not knowing what drive is being referenced during the install.

It's like giving an english speaker the directions only in spanish and expecting them to understand.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

TinSoldier wrote: It's like giving an english speaker the directions only in spanish and expecting them to understand.
I do concede that many Linux systems may use terminology that could be understandably foreign to someone new to it. I'm sure Windows could present the same to me.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

TinSoldier wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:16 am
The issue is how linux identifies harddrives and expecting a windows user to understand which drive is which.
Just because Windows does something one way does not necessarily make it the right way. In fact many would say it is Windows that is perverse in its structure. The onus is on you to alter the expectation that Linux can be treated as simply a free version of Windows.
Cliff Coggin
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

You are absolutely right, but there is no easy way for us to fix that problem.
When you live boot LM, use Disks and maybe gParted to learn a little about the Linux way to denote disks and disk partitions.
Also, if your system is a desktop system, consider just unplugging the Windows drive and plugging in a new drive for Linux. That way nothing too bad can go wrong. Yes, it is inconvenient if you want to go back to Windows, but it is an option to consider.
TinSoldier
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TinSoldier »

Ha i knew someone was going to say "unplug your windows disk..."
Which i think is what i'm going to do..

What i have done so far is use the yumi utility with persistence, and installed LM to a 2T external USb3 drive .
Didnt install anything yet, but did do a system update.
Then a warning message showed up saying i was low on disk space and only had 200mb left...
.... confused,
I'm going to blame the yumi utility for this, thinking that it probably is configured to keep the install to a minimum for small USB sticks.

Q: Did i waste my time with yumi ??
Q: can settings be adjusted so i kan use this 2T LM as my daily driver...
Q: orrr do i have to do the full install process to get a daily driver version ???.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

TinSoldier wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:18 pm 3 major problems incountered
1: Being an old user from windows DOS days, and having not perfect vision, The screen resolution & color scheme force me to use a magnifying glass.
2: A warning box opens telling me about mounted drives and asks if i want to unmount these drives to allow resizing. ( this option alone will cause many windows users to leave and rethink installing linux) just because they don`t know what mounting or unmounting is and if its required or not.
3: next, another box pops open and informs you that one or more drives will be repartitioned.
This one option will also cause a windows user to back away and say NO, atleast if they are smart, cause i personally wont take the chance of distroying my windows install.
The isue here is, how can ANY windows user figure out what drive ( sgdy2 ) refers to.

In my case i was worned 2 drives would be formatted.

i backed away from the install and rebooted into windows.

Until linux can refer to drives in some way a windows user would understand, there's a very good possibility a careless user will screw up their windows system, or as i did, just abort installing and walk away.

Having to learn linux to install linux is kind of a backward process to me.
-- You're really better and easier off just installing Linux Mint, or whatever distro you chose, into a separate storage drive ..keeping it completely separate from the Windows world. Seriously. There are just way too many medium and advanced things to plan for, ensure are set or disable to ensure a seamless and successful beginning. Keeping Linux and Windows on separate storage drives and booting only into one at a time keeps things simple and better ensures nothing collides or changes unexpectedly ( such as Linux grub taking over as the boot manager and then later a Windows update corrupting Linux Grub and messing up your ability to boot into either world)
The isue here is, how can ANY windows user figure out what drive ( sgdy2 ) refers to
I think you meant "sda" which usually refers to Sata connected storage drives. " sdb" refers to most often usb externally connected drives including thumb drives
I understand and respect your point about that. However, Linux is not Windows. It isn't meant to be Windows...this includes how drives are " assigned" or "labeled". This is why if you're stuck with only one computer and must use it for both Windows and Linux.....I always recommend anyone coming from Windows who is new to the Linux world to never install any Linux distro into the same storage drive that Windows is already installed into. ..and only booting into the Linux-installed storage drive while the windows-drive is completely powered off and disconnected from that PC..

This ensures nothing you do in the Linux booted up environment can mess up all you're comfy with involving Windows until you can learn enough and get comfy with Linux...until you're ready to make your journey 100%.

It's how I did it. Experienced Linux users like Joe Collins will agree with me. In fact

How is installing Linux a backward process? The installation wizard for Linux Mint ( be it xfce, mate, or cinnamon) for a perfect example is basically as straight forward if not easier than Windows 7 or 10 if you're not worrying about dealing with partitioning nonsense and you just are working with one storage drive to install it into ( " install Linux mint. " if the drive is empty or " Erase *insert operating system name here * and install Linux Mint " ). You have a check box that is optional talking if you want third party .mp3 codec" which you should check if you want to be able to play local music and videos right from your PC without headaches..but you're at least given the option in case you eventually learn more advanced ways to do so.

1. You you adjust your font size easily as well as overall zoom ( if using Linux Mint Cinnamon...i forgot off memory with xfce or mate desktops which are other " flavors" of Linux Mint you can also choose from) by hitting that windows logo button on your keyboard ( aka start button aka super key in linux world) type " font" and select Font Selection. There you can adjust your font sizes as well as "text scaling factor" which should provide the comfy zoom you seek.

You can also install other themes that may make things like minimize, maximize and X buttons bigger too ( I did. Thanks to Smurphos for this one

https://github.com/smurphos/Window_Borders_Mint_19

click the " code" green button..., then select Download Zip. Put that file in your themes folder ( actually shows as .themes since dot just before the name means it's hidden by default. press ctrl and h to unhide it). Now within that .themes folder, right click that Downloaded zip file and "extract here".

Now open your cinnamon menu ( start button aka super key on keyboard) and type without quotes "themes. No on the Windows Borders part you can left click on that box just to the right and find Mint-Y-Dark-BB as well as Mint-Y-Dark-VBB VBB = MUCH bigger than BB. I'm comfy with BB . It has a light theme also just select either of the two without Dark in it.

2. Windows always auto-mounts any storage drives you connect via internally or externally. Linux by default does not. Therefore it is more secure in that any idiot who isn't experienced in using Linux who tries to plug in a virus or malware infected usb thumb drive...= it won't do jack crap. Also even so..most infections are built for Windows and from the Windows environment..not for Linux. But if you know whatever storage drives you're connecting are safe, telling the system to automount them at start up or upon plugging them in isn't complicated.

Please understand, all good vibes meant. I'm just a fairly thorough talker. Remember at one time in the past, you once were brand new to using ANY computer..including a Windows-installed one and you had to learn what meant what, where certain things were, where normal files were stored and where program launchers were installed into...etc. Don't overthink things and make it to be a Mount Everest instead of a temporary pimple-sized learning curve :D Be patient with yourself and don't think you have to learn how to use a Linux distro in one night or even one week. Take bites out of it little by little. Take your breaks from Linux as needed and go back to Windows to take that break. It's ok.

It's no different than siting in a classroom for hours on end and needing a good 10 to 15 minute break every 1.5 hours or less to give your mind a chance to cool down and slowly soak it all in...as well as a good night's sleep or 7.

Legit, if you need further customization help. Let me know. :D I'm no expert, but I know a few things here and there. --
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
TinSoldier
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TinSoldier »

I've got the fonts and themes figured out.

my issue right now is the install using YUMI..
That too it seems is better to do a proper full install to my 2T drive with my windows drive disconnected.

I cant do the windows drive disconnecting each and every time i boot up to LM, the windows drive is the in-case HD, not an external usb one, thats a little much wear and tear on cable connectors for my liking, cause i could be booting back and forth multiple times a day.

I was just hoping a quick fix for the YUMI install could allow me to use it as its currently installed.

Just a thought without checking, but do you think if the partition size of the LM is causing the space warning, and if it is really small, could i stretch the partition and make it better without LM complaining ??.

This 2T drive has to have probably 1.6 or 7T worth of unused space.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

TinSoldier wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:48 am
my issue right now is the install using YUMI..
Who or what is YUMI?
Cliff Coggin
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

cliffcoggin wrote: Who or what is YUMI?
I've heard of it. I believe it's a Windows tool for creating bootable USB drives.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

What i have done so far is use the yumi utility with persistence, and installed LM to a 2T external USb3 drive .
Why? Why not just install mint direct to the usb drive? You are simply adding complications and creating problems for yourself, as evidenced by the fact you are now running low on drive space.

Linux drive naming: the first drive found is sda, the next sdb and so on. The first partition on the first drive sda1, the next sda2 and so on. In linux everything mounts under / (the top of the filesystem structure), so for example, when linux boots and finds your windows drive it will mount the partitions it finds in /media/you. There are no drive letters and what windows calls a drive is not a drive, it is a partition.
cant do the windows drive disconnecting each and every time i boot up to LM
You don't need to. Assuming you manage to install mint in the same mode (legacy or UEFI) as win, mint will install grub (the linux bootloader) on your main drive and when you boot give you the choice of either booting mint or win.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
TinSoldier
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TinSoldier »

YUMI & UUI are windows utilities to create bootable linux USB devices that are portable.

https://www.pendrivelinux.com/

For free no less, and supports 15 or 20 things, like most linux distro's, rescue disks, virus bootable scan utilities, bootable boot repair disks, impressive for a free utility.

I would be shocked if it isn't available for linux as well.. i could be wrong, i didn't check.

Yumi can also create win-to-go drives ( only when used on win8 or win10) ( windows on a portable device )( win-to-go, or w2go was originally a included win8 utility, and win10, but later removed from win10).

As to my issues, i'll play around some more.

I also bought a newer 10th gen i7 dell laptop (2 in 1) with 16G ram and 128G of optane memory (2 in 1) means it's foldable and usable as a tablet too.

optane memory is like a very fast storage medium for faster boot times etc, buttt
according to linustech, optane memory should be disabled in bios because it actually slows down your computer, not speed it up as intel advertises..... ( i'll believe linus tech over intel, did you know linus ( a local guy here in vancouver BC) , he has over 12 million subscribers on youtube.... ...say what...

I did disable it in bios, so now i have a 128G very fast ram based disk to use for what ever i want, on top of the 256G SSD. ( yes all data is retained on the ram disk between power cycles, the laptop see's it now as just another disk drive, but actually a very fast ram stick).

I'm wanting to install linux on this too, just as i'm currently playing with my desktop setup.

Choice choices, what to do, what to do.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

TinSoldier wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:49 pm YUMI & UUI are windows utilities to create bootable linux USB devices that are portable.

https://www.pendrivelinux.com/

For free no less, and supports 15 or 20 things, like most linux distro's, rescue disks, virus bootable scan utilities, bootable boot repair disks, impressive for a free utility.

I would be shocked if it isn't available for linux as well.. i could be wrong, i didn't check.
Yes there are several similar utilities available including Rufus and Etcher. I had not heard of Yumi even though I used Pendrivelinux to install Mint four years ago.
Cliff Coggin

Return to “Cinnamon”