Desktop Sharing for small business

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TheTraveler
Level 1
Level 1

Desktop Sharing for small business

Post by TheTraveler »

What do people recommend for desktop sharing in Mint Cinnamon 20.1?

It seems that Vino was removed around 19, and nothing replaced it. What do people use instead?

I'd like to offer remote support to a small group of developers (some on internal LAN and others via connected through VPN), but can't seem to find a recent How-to, going over the different solutions with pros/cons.
My requirements are: must be open source(Teamviewer and similar closed source applications are out of the question), zero to low impact on the remote system.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Desktop Sharing for small business

Post by Petermint »

If every part of your network is locked down and the only way in from the Internet is through VPN, you could use any solution. The instant anything connected to the Internet, you need a secure solution.

Do you want always on to everyone or just connection when they ask for help?

There was a recent thread where someone wanted to help their grandparents with "zero impact". That discussion included lots of relevant items.
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=339242
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

TheTraveler wrote: What do people recommend for desktop sharing in Mint Cinnamon 20.1?
I know that Remmina seems to be a popular option.
Last edited by JoeFootball on Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheTraveler
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheTraveler »

JoeFootball wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:20 am
TheTraveler wrote: What do people recommend for desktop sharing in Mint Cinnamon 20.1?
I know that Remmina seems to be a popular option.
Remmina would be great on the local end, I agree, however I was looking for solutions for the remote-end. Something in the lines of VNC or RDP.
TheTraveler
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheTraveler »

Petermint wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:19 pm If every part of your network is locked down and the only way in from the Internet is through VPN, you could use any solution. The instant anything connected to the Internet, you need a secure solution.

Do you want always on to everyone or just connection when they ask for help?

There was a recent thread where someone wanted to help their grandparents with "zero impact". That discussion included lots of relevant items.
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=339242
You make a valid point, in respect to security. I could settle for something, where they ask for help(maybe a bit more secure as well). I will review your link reference (it's a long thread).

Thank you for your input.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

TheTraveler wrote: Remmina would be great on the local end, I agree, however I was looking for solutions for the remote-end. Something in the lines of VNC or RDP.
Perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought it did that.

Edit: https://remmina.org/remmina-features/
TheTraveler
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheTraveler »

JoeFootball wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:22 pm
TheTraveler wrote: Remmina would be great on the local end, I agree, however I was looking for solutions for the remote-end. Something in the lines of VNC or RDP.
Perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought it did that.

Edit: https://remmina.org/remmina-features/
Hmmm....I will have to check again! Thanks for your feedback!

Return to “Cinnamon”