I can't stop the noize!! (bell on copy to clipboard)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
T313C0mun1s7
Level 1
Level 1

I can't stop the noize!! (bell on copy to clipboard)

Post by T313C0mun1s7 »

System: Kernel: 5.4.0-71-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6 wm: muffin dm: LightDM
Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal

I have looked everywhere and exhausted my Google-Fu. I simply cannot figure out how to turn off the sound that happens when I copy something to the clipboard. I am not sure if it is the default notification sound, or if it is a system bell. I have projects where I have to do a lot of data entry that requires a lot of copy and paste action. I don't want that sound every time I copy something.

Any help that can be provided is appreciated. Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LanceM

Re: I can't stop the noize!! (bell on copy to clipboard)

Post by LanceM »

Of course you've tried going to System Settings>Sound>Sounds tab, and shut all the switches to off?
T313C0mun1s7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by T313C0mun1s7 »

I saw no switches that say anything about the clipboard. They are currently set as such:

- Starting Cinnamon, ON
- Leaving Cinnamon, ON
- Switching workspace, off
- Opening new windows, off
- Closing windows, off
- Minimizing windows, off
- Maximizing windows, off
- Unmaximizing windows, off
- Tiling and snapping windows, ON
- Inserting a device, ON
- Removing a device, ON
- Showing notifications, off
- Changing the sound volume, off

There are no other options available beyond what I have listed above. In my head, if it make a sound on a system action (like it is when I copy to the clipboard) it SHOULD be listed here. As you can see it is not listed. Also, why would I turn off all system sounds just to quiet one thing. That does not seem like a proper move.
T313C0mun1s7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by T313C0mun1s7 »

P.S. You have location Gem State - Am I to conclude that means Idaho?
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

LMDE 4 has a beep that cam be disabled with a command. I don't know if it would do anything to yours:
Disable speaker beeps

Code: Select all

sudo -i

rmmod pcspkr

echo "blacklist pcspkr" > /etc/modprobe.d/nobeep.conf
Basically, this adds a file nobeep.conf to the directory /etc/modprobe.d/ v
Yes on ID
T313C0mun1s7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by T313C0mun1s7 »

I gave this a try to see what would happen, thank you for the suggestion.

When I ran

rmmod pcspkr
I got "rmmod: ERROR: Module pcspkr is not currently loaded"

I went ahead and created the /etc/modprobe.d/nobeep.conf file with the "blacklist pcspkr" text in it, but it did not appear to make a difference.

Finally, again this feel like an all or nothing solution to a simple, single scenario problem. I don't really want to kill all alerts. I am a system administrator with a large number of servers to track. I kinda want to continue to get audible notifications on things. It is actually rather important that I do. I just don't want to get a sound every time I copy something on to the clipboard. What ever happened to that old adage that you can do anything in Linux because everything can be customized? Have modern UIs really painted us into a corner this much?

PS: I used to drive around with a 2C plate on my car. Like the salmon, I swam upstream. I am in Cali now.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

I have never had a clipboard beep on my Mint - ever. So I have no solution. Is it a motherboard speaker? I have that and it beeps when booting Clonezilla. Otherwise no.
T313C0mun1s7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by T313C0mun1s7 »

No, it is not the internal PC speaker. It is coming out the sound device. In my case playing through my monitor connected via DisplayPort.

Thanks for the help. I guess I will keep digging on my own to see why it is happening.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

T313C0mun1s7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by T313C0mun1s7 »

Yes, I had. I didn't find anything that helped. I even went to Keyboard >> Shortcuts and looked at every single item in every category and didn't find anything that looked remotely related.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

You might try sending this question to Kadaitcha Man he does servers and has a lot of knowledge.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

T313C0mun1s7 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:31 pmAlso, why would I turn off all system sounds just to quiet one thing.
If it stops the sound you can turn them back on until you hear it again - then you'll know which one it is (if any..).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Cinnamon”