system monitor applet not working in cinnamon 4.8.6

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brainchild
Level 2
Level 2

system monitor applet not working in cinnamon 4.8.6

Post by brainchild »

Since the upgrade to Cinnamon 4.8.6, the System Monitor applet has not functioned properly. It loads with a width so small it is nearly invisible, even though it is configured for a substantial width. Adjusting the width (e.g. raising by one, and then lowering by one, to restore to the original value) in the configuration corrects this problem for the remainder of the session, but the contents of the applet remain blank. Removing the applet from the panel, and then adding again fully corrects the problem, but again, only for the remainder of the session. These strange behaviors had not occurred before the upgrade.

Is this a known issue? Is a fix or workaround available?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: system monitor applet not working in cinnamon 4.8.6

Post by SMG »

If I open System Monitor, it is full size (second from the right). Is that to what you are referring?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
brainchild
Level 2
Level 2

Post by brainchild »

SMG wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:06 pm If I open System Monitor, it is full size (second from the right). Is that to what you are referring?
No. The applet is an accessory for the panel. This question is not related to the standalone application.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

brainchild wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:30 pmNo. The applet is an accessory for the panel. This question is not related to the standalone application.
This Cinnamon Spice: System Monitor? If so, I see a comment mentioning an issue with the upgrade that was fixed by an update to a cjs version, but I do not know if that's what you are experiencing since it sounds a bit different.

There's a button in the upper right you can click to see issues which have been reported.
brainchild
Level 2
Level 2

Post by brainchild »

SMG wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:45 pm If so, I see a comment mentioning an issue with the upgrade that was fixed by an update to a cjs version, but I do not know if that's what you are experiencing since it sounds a bit different.
The referenced package is already installed on my system.
brainchild
Level 2
Level 2

Post by brainchild »

I am now thinking that the best chance of success lies in manually removing the user settings that for the applet.

Can anyone advise where these are placed, and how to erase them?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

That applet is not part of a standard Mint install. Have you tried uninstalling the applet and reinstalling it?
brainchild
Level 2
Level 2

Post by brainchild »

I eventually fixed the problem by downloading the updated version of the applet in the "Download" panel of the Cinnamon "Applets" dialog box, which I opened right-clicking on a panel and choosing the "Applets" menu item.

Ideally this process would be automated, or integrated into the system package management.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

brainchild wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:16 amIdeally this process would be automated, or integrated into the system package management.
The Mint Blog: Monthly News – April 2021 indicates in the "Cinnamon" section that Spices will be integrated into Update Manager in the 5.0 version of Cinnamon.

If your issue is now resolved, please edit your first post in this thread by clicking the pencil icon and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the title.

Return to “Cinnamon”