Lost status bar

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KBea
Level 1
Level 1

Lost status bar

Post by KBea »

I have Linux Mint 20.1
My status bar is missing from Desktop- Includes LM menu, browser Icons, skype + others,
the desktop'screen is OK. A few files that I store there are showing. Computer, Home, and five other files
All I can report is that my mouse acts erratic at times and hard to control. I end up trying to scroll and moving the pointer around on the screen and trying to land on a task, I think I may have missed what i was aiming for and clicked on something that moved the status bar.
I shut down and rebooted. Nothing changed
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Lost status bar

Post by mikeflan »

Reboot and see if it comes back. If not, Timeshift may be your best best.

Another option is start a terminal (Ctrl-Alt-T), type 'cinnamon-settings panel', and enter. Is 'Always show panel' selected at the top? You could also click on 'Panel edit mode' twice to see if that restores the panel.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Lost status bar

Post by Moem »

If by 'status bar' you mean the bar at the bottom of the screen that holds various launchers, buttons and applets, and that is called the 'panel' in Linux Mint... then here's a method to get it back:

Open a terminal by typing Ctrl+Alt+t. Now you can open the panel settings by typing:

Code: Select all

cinnamon-settings panel
In the panel settings window, select Add new panel and click the side of the screen where you want it.

If that's not enough, you can restore Cinnamon to its defaults like so:

Code: Select all

dconf reset -f /org/cinnamon/
But you'll lose your customizations if you have any.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Cinnamon”