Mint 20.1 x64 Cinnamon Window borders with focus highlight

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dhdurgee
Level 4
Level 4

Mint 20.1 x64 Cinnamon Window borders with focus highlight

Post by dhdurgee »

I am in the process of moving to Mint 20.1 x64 Cinnamon from Mint 18.3 x64 Cinnamon and am looking for a theme that highlights the focused window. None of the included themes for Window borders appear to offer this. I even copied the Simple theme from /usr/share/themes on 18.3 to 20.1 only to find it isn't listed as an option for Window borders!

Where can I get a theme with proper focus highlighting? I often have several non-overlapping windows open and want to be able to tell at a glance which one will be receiving my keyboard input.

I also want arrows on my slider bars as I find it easier to work with them than to drag in the slider bar.

Dave

PS: I also copied the Bright, Esco and Metabox themes from 18.3 and none of them show as an option for Window borders either!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dhdurgee
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 20.1 x64 Cinnamon Window borders with focus highlight

Post by dhdurgee »

Since I have received no response thus far I did a bit more searching and came upon this page:

http://www.orcus.de/main_workarounds/ot ... tab_themes

Has anyone tried this out? It sounds as if it is designed to address my problem, but I am not sure I want to pioneer it.

Dave
dhdurgee
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dhdurgee »

Given the lack of response here I went ahead and tried the tool I provided the link to above. I used it to install the orcus themes to my system and selecting one of them as my Window borders theme does indeed give me the visible highlighting I was seeking. Hopefully this will be of use to others who want this feature in their system.

Dave
jelabarre59
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jelabarre59 »

My observation is the theme developers are far too focused on being "Kewl" and "Leet", and put no thought into actual usability. Used to be you could readily find borders that would, shockingly, have actual colors to them, AND would dim out the background windows. Borders that had actual texture to them.

These days they've become too enamoured of "The Emperor's New Flatso/Fugly UI". Metro, Material Design, and whatever Apple calls their featureless interface are all abominations. If I wanted flat and featureless, I'd use MSWindows v1.01.

And mind you, those designers also think having arrows on scroll bars is somehow an affront to nature.

Return to “Cinnamon”