Chromium-Based Browser Lack Drop Shadow

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dizzyman
Level 1
Level 1

Chromium-Based Browser Lack Drop Shadow

Post by dizzyman »

Hello people,
Can somebody tell me why Chromium-based browsers have an ugly black outline and lack the drop shadow that is present in other apps?

I noticed that this is also the case with some other apps like WPS Office and Deepin Movie, to name a few that I have experimented with in the past.

I do know that Chromium-based browsers on Ubuntu are completely integrated with the DE, and as such behave like other apps (drop shadow and no black outline), so why is this not the case on Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon).

As a P.S for FOSS purists:
I know I can use Firefox (and I do) which doesn't suffer from the above-mentioned problems, but my question is about the lack of visual integration of Chromium-based browsers in Cinnamon.

chrome window.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Chromium-Based Browser Lack Drop Shadow

Post by mikeflan »

I don't know why your Chromium has a small, thin drop shadow (which you interpret as no drop shadow). Mine has a prominent drop shadow on all 4 sides.
shadow.jpg
shadow.jpg (20.39 KiB) Viewed 339 times
wwblm
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Chromium-Based Browser Lack Drop Shadow

Post by wwblm »

I just noticed something that I think is very much related. New to Mint. Typically use Brave and for a while Firefox was broken. Now I use both in Mint 20.1 Cinnamon. Just messing around with themes and installed McOS-Mint-Cinnamon theme. Had already moved controls to the left and now with the theme it looks just like my mac. Except for Brave which has the controls still on the left but does not have the coloured dots like the windows in the file manager, Firefox, the terminal, Libreoffice, and VLC (programs that I have used so far) all have the mac appearance, Brave does not. Something must be different in the way the Chrome based browsers draw their windows. Sorry I don't know enough to understand this.

Don't really get the whole theme thing very well as it is not that important to me. I like Mint because it works. Easy for me to understand the interface and it works close enough to a mac that I don't really care. Kind of nice to have it look the same but that just isn't all that important to me. It is important that I can configure the network, use Bluetooth, find files, run the terminal, etc. Some say that mint is very much like windows but for this long time mac user windows makes it unnecessarily difficult to handle those tasks and I don't see that difficulty in Mint. Appearance is minor compared to accessible functionality.

Return to “Cinnamon”