Why was the bluetooth applet removed?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Orpasius
Level 1
Level 1

Why was the bluetooth applet removed?

Post by Orpasius »

Hello!

I've noticed that there is no applet for Bluetooth connections. There's just a tray icon which opens a window.

I've looked through the GitHub of the Cinnamon DE and found some old screenshots (example: https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/ass ... dd437a.png) where there is an applet.
Having these controls an applet, similar to the Network Manager, the Power Manager etc. is much more ergonomic, you don't have to move the cursor as much.

So why was it decided to only have the tray icon and the window?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Why was the bluetooth applet removed?

Post by SMG »

Orpasius wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:24 pmSo why was it decided to only have the tray icon and the window?
What versions are you using for your comparison of there was an applet and now there is not an applet?

Are you doing a right-click on the panel icon or a left-click?

In the New features in Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon there is a section which indicates "Blueberry was given a visual overhaul." but I was not able to find any indication the applet was removed.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

SMG wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:37 pmWhat versions are you using for your comparison of there was an applet and now there is not an applet?
First there is an applet, then there is no applet, then there is
First there is an applet, then there is no applet, then there is
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Orpasius
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Orpasius »

SMG wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:37 pm
Orpasius wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:24 pmSo why was it decided to only have the tray icon and the window?
What versions are you using for your comparison of there was an applet and now there is not an applet?

Are you doing a right-click on the panel icon or a left-click?

In the New features in Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon there is a section which indicates "Blueberry was given a visual overhaul." but I was not able to find any indication the applet was removed.
I'm using 20.1, with Cinnamon 4.8.6. I'm not sure when the applet was actually removed. There are a bunch of issues that mention it: https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/i ... in%3Atitle

Left-clicking on the panel brings up the window (Blueberry). Right-clicking opens a menu. I guess the menu can sort of act as a replacement for the applet, but it's still very limited. It doesn't even allow me to turn Bluetooth on/off.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Orpasius wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:56 pmI'm using 20.1, with Cinnamon 4.8.6. I'm not sure when the applet was actually removed. Here's an issue from 2012 where the applet is still there: https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/issues/1492
You were using LM14 before you upgraded to LM20? I believe the underlying Ubuntu-related program upon which Blueberry sits has been changed since then.

In this thread LM 20 Bluethoot won't go off there is a way of turning off bluetooth.

Bluetooth is dependent on the hardware of your computer. For some cards, wireless must be turned on for bluetooth to work at all. That is a function of the hardware card and not all systems work the same way because their hardware is different.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Orpasius
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Orpasius »

Just to be clear: I'm not having any issues with my Bluetooth. I'm not reporting a bug, this is about user-friendliness. I was just wondering what the reasoning was behind removing that applet, since it has negatively affected usability. I thought maybe someone on this forum is familiar with the history.

That issue link was just an example to show that the applet did exist at some point, and I've edited my post to include more issues like that.

I can still open Blueberry and do everything I need to do. But it's a bit harder than it needs to be.

Return to “Cinnamon”