Switch user - Cinnamon Desktop Crash

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ourkid2000
Level 1
Level 1

Switch user - Cinnamon Desktop Crash

Post by ourkid2000 »

Good day all,

I have my computer running Mint with my own account (administrator) and my kid's or wife's account (standard users). If I do not logout and my kid uses the computer (this would be a switch user - then log into her account command), the desktop almost immediately starts crashing. The desktop comes up and everything looks normal but if you click on something, say Google Chrome in the panel, the browser window does not pop up like expected. If you look at the Panel, you'll see that it looks like a browser has been selected and if you hover your mouse over it you can see the little preview of the window. The window, however, is not up on the screen. If you click on the preview, nothing happens.

I did some troubleshooting on my other computers, which all had various versions of Mint running (I have one with 19.3, one with 20, and one with 20.1) on them and they all do the exact same thing so I'm thinking this isn't some kind of hardware issue.

Regardless, once it's in this state where's it seems to be crashing, you can't click on anything as it just seems to lead to more crashes. You can, however, navigate the Menu using the superkey and the keyboard. It's when I get to this state that I always hit ctrl-alt-esc and then the screen flickers. Then everything I've previously selected all comes up like there was never any problem. If you screw around too much before hitting ctrl-alt-esc, it tends to get way worse and the only solution is a restart.

I had another post on this in a different section where we did some troubleshooting but all measures didn't fix the issue. The latest crash I had, I managed to get the logs so I will post that below. I believe the time stamp of 13:43 is the last crash I managed to notice.

Code: Select all

10:21:12 cinnamon-screen: pam_unix(cinnamon-screensaver:auth): auth could not identify password for [daddio]
10:21:12 cinnamon-screen: pam_unix(cinnamon-screensaver:auth): auth could not identify password for [daddio]
10:21:12 cinnamon-screen: pam_unix(cinnamon-screensaver:auth): conversation failed
10:21:12 cinnamon-screen: pam_unix(cinnamon-screensaver:auth): auth could not identify password for [allison2]
10:21:12 cinnamon-screen: pam_unix(cinnamon-screensaver:auth): conversation failed
10:20:47 cinnamon-screen: pam_ecryptfs: seteuid error
10:20:40 kernel: [drm:si_dpm_set_power_state [radeon]] *ERROR* si_set_sw_state failed
Apr 23 19:46:20 cinnamon-screen: pam_unix(cinnamon-screensaver:auth): auth could not identify password for [allison2]
Apr 23 19:46:20 cinnamon-screen: pam_unix(cinnamon-screensaver:auth): auth could not identify password for [allison2]
Apr 23 19:46:20 cinnamon-screen: pam_unix(cinnamon-screensaver:auth): conversation failed
Apr 23 19:46:20 cinnamon-screen: pam_unix(cinnamon-screensaver:auth): auth could not identify password for [daddio]
Apr 23 19:46:20 cinnamon-screen: pam_unix(cinnamon-screensaver:auth): conversation failed
Apr 23 19:45:55 cinnamon-screen: pam_ecryptfs: seteuid error
Apr 23 19:45:48 kernel: [drm:si_dpm_set_power_state [radeon]] *ERROR* si_set_sw_state failed
Apr 23 08:05:49 cinnamon-screen: pam_unix(cinnamon-screensaver:auth): auth could not identify password for [daddio]
Apr 23 08:05:49 cinnamon-screen: pam_unix(cinnamon-screensaver:auth): auth could not identify password for [daddio]
Apr 23 08:05:49 cinnamon-screen: pam_unix(cinnamon-screensaver:auth): conversation failed
Apr 23 08:05:49 cinnamon-screen: pam_unix(cinnamon-screensaver:auth): conversation failed
Apr 23 08:05:24 cinnamon-screen: pam_ecryptfs: seteuid error
Apr 23 08:05:17 kernel: [drm:si_dpm_set_power_state [radeon]] *ERROR* si_set_sw_state failed
Apr 22 20:25:48 cinnamon-screen: pam_unix(cinnamon-screensaver:auth): auth could not identify password for [daddio]
Apr 22 20:25:48 cinnamon-screen: pam_unix(cinnamon-screensaver:auth): auth could not identify password for [daddio]
Apr 22 20:25:48 cinnamon-screen: pam_unix(cinnamon-screensaver:auth): conversation failed
Apr 22 20:25:48 cinnamon-screen: pam_unix(cinnamon-screensaver:auth): auth could not identify password for [allison2]
Apr 22 20:25:48 cinnamon-screen: pam_unix(cinnamon-screensaver:auth): conversation failed
Apr 22 20:25:29 cinnamon-screen: pam_ecryptfs: seteuid error
Apr 22 20:25:16 kernel: [drm:si_dpm_set_power_state [radeon]] *ERROR* si_set_sw_state failed
Apr 22 13:43:35 cinnamon-screen: pam_unix(cinnamon-screensaver:auth): auth could not identify password for [daddio]
Apr 22 13:43:35 cinnamon-screen: pam_unix(cinnamon-screensaver:auth): auth could not identify password for [daddio]
Apr 22 13:43:35 cinnamon-screen: pam_unix(cinnamon-screensaver:auth): conversation failed
Apr 22 13:43:12 cinnamon-screen: pam_ecryptfs: seteuid error
Apr 22 13:43:04 kernel: [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
Apr 22 13:43:03 kernel: [drm:si_dpm_set_power_state [radeon]] *ERROR* si_set_sw_state failed
Apr 22 12:19:37 pulseaudio: [pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Apr 22 12:19:37 pulseaudio: [pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Apr 22 12:17:07 pulseaudio: [pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.TimedOut: Failed to activate service 'org.bluez': timed out (service_start_timeout=25000ms)
Apr 22 12:16:59 pulseaudio: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Daemon already running.
Apr 22 12:16:36 pulseaudio: [pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Apr 22 12:16:12 pulseaudio: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Daemon already running.
Apr 22 12:16:03 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sdc] No Caching mode page found
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
manyroads
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Switch user - Cinnamon Desktop Crash

Post by manyroads »

What do you mean by run as administrator? Are you a user who has sudo privs? Or do you have a live root running at the same time with your family members active? Is your root/admin user running in shell or a GUI?

EDIT: Which of these approaches are you using?
https://www.wikihow.com/Become-Root-in-Linux
Pax vobiscum,
...mark
SwayWM, i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm
Professional Genealogist & Technologist
(http://eirenicon.org & http://many-roads.com)
ourkid2000
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Switch user - Cinnamon Desktop Crash

Post by ourkid2000 »

I do not have a live Root account running, as far as I know. I think root account is locked by default in Mint correct? I haven't done anything fancy, like unlocking the root account etc, so I would say I have an Admin user running in a GUI with the family members set up as Standard Users. If you log in as me, you're an administrator and if you log in as my family members your a standard user. Often, I leave my admin account running and the lock screen comes up. Then the family member can select their account and log in as well. If I have to do anything out of the ordinary, I have to use the Sudo command while I'm running my Admin account.

Return to “Cinnamon”