Update moves menu items around

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bluecoat58
Level 1
Level 1

Update moves menu items around

Post by bluecoat58 »

In an update to my computer in the last week or two, the developers decided to move things around in the menu without consent. Example: My Plex Media Server was in the "OTHER" folder and it got arbitrarily moved into the "Sound and Video" folder. This is unacceptable. It has resided in the "Other" folder for years. And now, this folder has been totally removed from my menu. What else has been moved around without permission???
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Update moves menu items around

Post by rene »

Your menu entries are unless you make them be so not your property as a user but that of the application itself and/or the system. Specifically, a system-wide installed application decides on its menu category via the Categories= line in its .desktop file as it itself installs under /usr/share/applications/ together with the system supplied .directory files under /usr/share/desktop-directories/.

The "Other" category is used for applications that do not in fact themselves specify a category and as such likely the only thing that changed is that Plex fixed its .desktop file to have a proper category. Should you as one specific user of the system --- noting that even if you're the only user you're still just one specific one in the context of the system as such --- not care for a category an application places itself in you can easily override it.

Plex is not a repository application so I don't know if it installs system-wide or user-specific; if former you can of course just edit (with sudo) its .desktop file under /usr/share/applications or, much better, copy said .desktop file to ~/.local/share/applications/ in your home directory and edit it there; create that directory first if it doesn't yet exists. If Plex installed user-specific latter location is where its .desktop file will be located already. Finding out which .desktop file you need you will be able to via e.g. the Cinnamon menu editor but will be usually obvious directly from the filename as well.

Simply deleting a Categories= line from the .desktop file will move the application back to "Others" as it appears you for some or other reason prefer.
bluecoat58
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Update moves menu items around

Post by bluecoat58 »

Thanks for the response. If this indeed was the Plex team, it doesn't surprise me with all the issues with the app.

Return to “Cinnamon”