Configure workspace window preferences

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cbrevard
Level 1
Level 1

Configure workspace window preferences

Post by cbrevard »

Hi,

Though I don't restart my machine often, it happens enough that I'd like a way to configure my per-application window and workspace preferences.

For example, let's say that I want my password manager's window to always be on the visible workspace, now and after a reboot. I select "Always on Visible Workspace" from the Cinnamon window drop-down (top-left-hand corner of window). But this preference doesn't seem to be saved anywhere.

Is there a way to save said preference?

Thanks,
CB
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vanadium
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Configure workspace window preferences

Post by vanadium »

There is little control by the user on window placement in a default installation. One way to control window placement is to use devilspie or devilspie2. Both are independent, old, unmaintained and poorly documented utilities that allow to define rules for placement, properties, etc, of newly created windows, but they do their job remarkably well up to this day. They differ in the scripting language they use.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I'd like a way to configure my per-application window and workspace preferences.
Great question. I could use this too. I am very surprised that this is not readily available in LM. One would think this would have been worked out long ago and maintained very well, but apparently not. To be honest it would only save me a couple minutes every 2 weeks when I restart, but it just seems like a basic functionality that users would want.
cbrevard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cbrevard »

Thanks for the replies.
One way to control window placement is to use devilspie or devilspie2
Thanks, @vanadium, I'll check out devilspie and its successor.

Return to “Cinnamon”