LM 20: Recent folders in save-as dialog box?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
palimmo
Level 4
Level 4

LM 20: Recent folders in save-as dialog box?

Post by palimmo »

Hello,

is there anyway to enable recent folders/ locations in the save-as dialog box?
This is very useful when opening files after downloading them (or creating a new file), then deciding to save them in a much used project folder - no need to scroll through your filesystem (or bookmarks) looking for the folder.

This "trick" apparently doesn't work anymore:
Ah, think I've discovered the answer myself - if you open nemo, then select 'Recent' in the 'my computer' section of the folder sidebar (after enabling this option in the privacy settings in the start menu), it is then possible to bookmark the 'recent' folder in nemo. This means that the recents folder will show twice in the nemo sidebar, but no biggie.
This bookmarked recent folder, will then appear in the save-as dialog box in other applications.
viewtopic.php?f=208&t=287975

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM Cinnamon 64bit
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: LM 20: Recent folders in save-as dialog box?

Post by mikeflan »

Nemo bookmarks work perfectly, but I guess the problem with that is that it is entirely manual. It does not remember what you have done recently.

This is old info you might want to see:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=158451
palimmo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palimmo »

mikeflan wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:25 pm Nemo bookmarks work perfectly, but I guess the problem with that is that it is entirely manual. It does not remember what you have done recently.

This is old info you might want to see:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=158451
That's not unfortunately what I'm looking for
LM Cinnamon 64bit
palimmo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palimmo »

Any suggestions?
LM Cinnamon 64bit
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

That's not unfortunately what I'm looking for
Please specify. The old link is not what you are looking for, or Bookmarks is not the functionality you want?
I'm thinking Bookmarks is the functionality you are looking for, except that it is not automatic.
palimmo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palimmo »

Hi mikeflan,

bookmarks isn't the right function, since I'd like to have quick access to that folders that I've been using in the last minutes/hours/days ("recent folders"), and not the ones that I have bookmarked and I use pretty often ("bookmarks").
This is a huge difference.
E.g.:
today I'm downloading from the web some pictures about XY, because I'm going to show them to my grandpa tonight since he is going to visit me.
Until today and starting from tomorrow I have no need to have access to this folder and consequently to create a bookmark.
It is just a temporary situation.
But something like this happens almost every day!
That's the reason why I'm wondering if such behaviour is in LM possible (like for example in W10).
Thanks for your attention.
LM Cinnamon 64bit
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

OK, thanks. I went to my Recent Files and was expecting to see only files, not folders. But I now see that folders are also in there. That is convenient.
recent.png
It guess it would be nice to have it in Save-As. Thanks for mentioning that, and hopefully it might be done someday.
palimmo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palimmo »

we both hope it :D
LM Cinnamon 64bit

Return to “Cinnamon”