Make app open on the "current" workspace

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tarka Dal
Level 1
Level 1

Make app open on the "current" workspace

Post by Tarka Dal »

Hi folks. Tiny, tiny, annoying niggle but it's finally annoyed me enough to post here about it. Linux Mint 20.1 w/ Cinnamon 4.8.6, dual monitors, 3 workspaces.

When I type [windows key] [app name] [enter] most of my apps open on the screen in front of me. That's good.

Some apps always open on whichever workspace it was left on. so if I'm on workspace 2 and type the same as above, it will open on workspace 1 and I have to go and find it. I just want all apps to open on the current workspace.

Firefox, Sublime Text, Sublime Merge exhibit this behaviour. If anyone can point me towards a solution I would be v grateful.

I've tried resetting Cinnamon, toggling "Bring windows which require attention to the current workspace" and "Focus mode for new windows"

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Make app open on the "current" workspace

Post by mikeflan »

Some apps always open on whichever workspace it was left on.
Please name some apps that do that. The only one I know of is Firefox. It might do that in some cases.
Tarka Dal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tarka Dal »

I did say
Firefox, Sublime Text, Sublime Merge exhibit this behaviour
It looks to me like the context options when right-clicking a window header don't make sense. I get two radios:

Always on visible workspace -> this means the window "follows you around" when you switch workspace, I don't want that.

Only on this workspace -> this seems to make the window "stay where it is" even if I close the app, swap workspace, then open it again.

There's no option to just behave what I'd call "normally" i.e. open on the current workspace and stay there.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I agree. The application (FF) is apparently driving this behavior to open where last closed. I like that behavior, but I can see why you don't.

I use Gnome Terminal ver 3.28.1 and despite selecting 'Always on visible workspace' these terminal windows are not always available on all workspaces. I sometimes have to go back to the 'main' workspace they were opened on, bring the terminal windows up, and then switch back to the workspace I was working in to see them. Kind of annoying.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

mikeflan wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:44 amI agree. The application (FF) is apparently driving this behavior to open where last closed.
For me FF open in whatever workspace is active/visible, so it might depend on the window manager **; fluxbox let's you (optionally) define which workspace a program will appear in, but other than that everything opens in the current workspace.

Edit: OP, do you get an option like this from the panel/taskbar?
open-app.jpg
** Edit: I was going to suggest using a different window manager, but
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/cinnam ... ow_manager
Use a different window manager
Cinnamon does not support using a different window manager.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Tarka Dal wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:25 amSome apps always open on whichever workspace it was left on.
Perhaps deleting the .cache files for that program (e.g. rm -r ./cache/mozilla) would cause it to forget which workspace it was left on (= ran on previously and closed..?). FWIW, I regularly delete ~/.cache/* without any harm.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I regularly delete ~/.cache/* without any harm.
That is something for me to consider. My .cache is 843 MB with 45,187 items :shock:
Just the directories are this:

Code: Select all

babl/
champlain/
chromium/
cinnamon-settings.py/
cs_backgrounds/
cs_themes/
dconf/
doc/
evolution/
filezilla/
flatpak/
fontconfig/
gegl-0.3/
gnome-calculator/
gnome-disks/
gnome-screenshot/
gstreamer-1.0/
ibus/
kioexec/
kio_http/
libgweather/
matplotlib/
mesa_shader_cache/
mintinstall/
mozilla/
obexd/
qtshadercache/
RawTherapee/
remmina/
rhythmbox/
ringcentral/
shutter/
simple-scan/
SpeedCrunch/
sushi/
thumbnails/
thunderbird/
tomboy/
transmission/
wallpaper/
xreader/
yelp/
youtube-dl/
Tarka Dal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tarka Dal »

Thanks for your input guys.

The cache folder was ~3.5Gb on this machine so I ran

Code: Select all

sudo mv .cache .cache_backup
in my home dir.

Firefox is now behaving "normally" and opening on the current workspace. Sublime Merge still opens wherever I left it :|
karpo518
Level 1
Level 1

Post by karpo518 »

Tarka Dal wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:10 pm Sublime Merge still opens wherever I left it :|
I dont know, what is about Sublime Merge, but flag "remember_workspace": false fixed the same problem in Sublime Text

Return to “Cinnamon”