[Solved]The windows list breaks regularly

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
i0ghtk
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved]The windows list breaks regularly

Post by i0ghtk »

Edit: I'm not fully sure, but it seems to have been resolved with cinnamon 5.0.5
Edit2:Sometimes it still flashes red when it shouldn't, but the window doesn't disappear when it gets the focus, and it doesn't happen again immediately afterwards. It doesn't bother me, so I'm abandoning this thread, thanks to all.

Greetings, I recently upgraded to mint 20.2 and ran into some issues with cinnamon.

The window list regularly breaks, functional windows disappear from the window list. Sometimes they just disappear, sometimes they flash red or stay red. When they are red (flashing or not) as soon as they get the focus they disappear from the list, regardless if they don't get the focus by interacting directly with the window list.

The grouped window list has the same behavior of flashing red or staying red, but they never disappear. When they are red in the window list, they are also red in the grouped window list.

When a window is broken, for that application it remains broken even if it is closed and reopened. Restarting cinnamon or the window list fixes it, but eventually it always happens again. I have experienced this with various applications, both from repositories and flatpak.

I don't know if this is really the best place to report this, I hope this is enough information. Thanks for reading me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Re: The windows list breaks regularly

Post by ugly »

I've noticed this too.

For me, it commonly happens when using LibreOffice. If I open two documents, one of them will disappear from the window list, even though the window is still open.

I've noticed some red flashing windows calling for attention, and the odd crash of Cinnamon.

Unfortunately, this is not the place to report this issue, since the devs don't regularly read the forums. You can report a bug on the Cinnamon github page

It looks like there is already an issue for the LibreOffice issue I just mentioned: https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/issues/10202. But it seems unrelated to any flashing issue.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: The windows list breaks regularly

Post by Hoser Rob »

ugly wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:42 am I've noticed this too.

For me, it commonly happens when using LibreOffice. If I open two documents, one of them will disappear from the window list, even though the window is still open.

I've noticed some red flashing windows calling for attention, and the odd crash of Cinnamon.

Unfortunately, this is not the place to report this issue, since the devs don't regularly read the forums. You can report a bug on the Cinnamon github page

It looks like there is already an issue for the LibreOffice issue I just mentioned: https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/issues/10202. But it seems unrelated to any flashing issue.
It's not clear to me that this has anything whatsoever to do with the OP's problem. Note the OP never even mentioned LO.

To the OP: no, there'e no useful info there. Copy/paste the text output os inxi -Fxz run in the terminal. Dunno if I'd be much use here but anyone who would is going to need some decent system info to go on,
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Cinnamon”