Nemo Search, Box Pops Up While Typing Query, Stealing Focus

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Grateful4Linux
Level 3
Level 3

Nemo Search, Box Pops Up While Typing Query, Stealing Focus

Post by Grateful4Linux »

Hello. I use Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon with Nemo 4.4.3 file manager. I have noticed this problem for a long time, but have never found a solution to it:

When I am trying to search for a file in Nemo, very often (though not always) my typing disappears and I notice the continuation is now in a small box, usually at the bottom right of the window. (Occasionally it will pop up at the top to the left of where I am typing.)

For example, if I want to locate a specific copy of a resume and I begin typing in the file manager search bar, I can only get to "res" before I notice that the "ume" I continued typing is now in the little pop up box. Then I have to put the cursor back and retype the rest of it again. This happens repeatedly and is very annoying, especially when I am doing a lot of file reorganizing and need to find a lot of files and copies.

Does anyone know why this happens and if there is something I can do to prevent it?

I couldn't get a screen capture because the little box disappears when I try to capture it, but the second photo in this post shows the little box at the bottom right -- viewtopic.php?p=1324486#p1324486

They called it a "quick search filter" so it may be a feature, but it doesn't work for me because it interrupts me typing my search request. Is that what the little box is called? Any way to disable it? Or at least stop it from automatically stealing focus while I'm typing my search? I didn't see anything in preferences, and haven't been able to find a solution so far.

These threads also seem to be related:
viewtopic.php?t=330169
viewtopic.php?t=230814
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
~Maria
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Nemo Search, Box Pops Up While Typing Query, Stealing Focus

Post by mikeflan »

I have Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon with Nemo 4.4.3 file manager and I can't reproduce that at the moment. I think I have seen that search box in the lower right before, but not now, and it never interfered with what I was doing. I hit Ctrl-F to search. Pushing the magnifying glass button does the same. I will keep looking for this, but I don't see it.

Scrot is a program you can install to capture images of temporary boxes. Take a screenshot in 3 seconds:

Code: Select all

scrot -cd 3 /home/YOU/Documents/'%Y.%m.%d_%H.%M.%S-desktop.png'
Sorry I couldn't help.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

The little quick search box is a feature. It was removed very briefly in the past. Then we found out how many people used it and put it right back :D

As to the problem you are having. That should only happen if you are somehow changing focus from the search box to the main view while you are typing. Do you have a laptop with a touchpad, for example? Maybe you are taking focus from the searchbar inadvertently?
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Grateful4Linux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Grateful4Linux »

mikeflan wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:13 pmI think I have seen that search box in the lower right before, but not now, and it never interfered with what I was doing. I hit Ctrl-F to search. Pushing the magnifying glass button does the same.
Thank you for your reply, Mikeflan. I usually use the magnifying glass to search, but I will try to remember to use Ctrl-F to see if it makes a difference.
JosephM wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:23 pm The little quick search box is a feature. It was removed very briefly in the past. Then we found out how many people used it and put it right back :D

As to the problem you are having. That should only happen if you are somehow changing focus from the search box to the main view while you are typing. Do you have a laptop with a touchpad, for example? Maybe you are taking focus from the searchbar inadvertently?
I wonder what could be causing a change of focus? I am using a desktop and a wireless mouse and keyboard. No touchpad. And it doesn't happen every time, but surprisingly often. I bought a new laptop and I'm trying to declutter and organize all of my digital files before I install LM 20.2 Edge on it. The search box problem occurred probably over a hundred times yesterday, so I was really hoping there's a solution. At least now I know that it is related to a "feature".

I have occasionally had a similar focus stealing issue with that quick search box when I was trying to name or rename a file or folder. I searched my notes to see if I could find the details, and what the solution was. If I recall correctly, I was only able to add a single character with each right-click rename effort... and I finally noticed that the rest was going into the little box at the bottom right corner. I think there was some way to close that box and prevent it from happening so I could name and rename files, but I don't recall what it was. I thought I had notes about it in CherryTree, but haven't found any.

Anyway, thank you for your reply, JosephM. Maybe it's just a strange quirk with this particular installation and hardware and will hopefully not happen with my new laptop.

Edited to Add that I found my notes about naming/renaming and the quick search box, but they're not particularly helpful since I am already typing in the search bar at the top when the box pops up and the focus switches:
When re/naming files I was only able to type one letter before it closed. I noticed additional letters were displaying in search bar at bottom. Fixed it by clicking on the search icon at the top of the folder, which put the search bar back up there. I don't know how/why it was changed.
Last edited by Grateful4Linux on Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Maria
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Yeah, hopefully it won't happen with the new laptop.

I was using wireless keyboard and mouse for the first 4 - 6 months of using Linux. Then something happened (I don't remember what) and I switched to wired. I never switched back.

Return to “Cinnamon”