dual monitors constantly reset to be "apart" from each other

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
n0body_special
Level 3
Level 3

dual monitors constantly reset to be "apart" from each other

Post by n0body_special »

Quite simple (to describe) problem really:
I open up display manager, and set up my monitors like this:

This way, when I drag a window from one monitor to the other, the window appears to transfer between the monitors seamlessly, as if they are one big desktop (which is what I want).

But when I reboot, the monitors appear like this:

Now there is a gap between the monitors, for no freaking reason whatsoever. Now when I move a window between monitors, it disappears for a moment, before it appears again on the other monitor. The desktop "space" between the monitors is "lost", it's invisible and cannot be used.

When I open the display settings and drag the left monitor, it immediately "snaps" back in place and "sticks" to the right one, like it's supposed to. I save the setting and do my work normally. But when I reboot, the same thing happens again. I have to do the freaking thing every time I boot. I can do that, but it's extremely annoying.

It appears that linux mint doesn't "remember" the setting after a reboot. How can I "save" the setting of the two screens being next to each other, and not apart from each other? Where are the display settings saved?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Windows is the world's biggest virus.
UEFI is a Microsoft sponsored boot sector hijacker.
Android is the world's biggest spyware.
But most importantly: Google. Is. Skynet
nomlas
Level 1
Level 1

Re: dual monitors constantly reset to be "apart" from each other

Post by nomlas »

I have the same issue. Or rather, I currently have this issue, having tried a great many different solutions to make my Dell XPS 13 and WD19 docking station play nicely together with a single external monitor.

If one plugs the dock into the laptop while running, the monitor is detected normally and works correctly. However, whether it survives suspend is a mixed bag, and it does not survive reboots. In my case, in a reboot, the monitor is completely lost. The only way to bring it back is to unplug and replug the dock. When I do this, my monitors are "apart" as per the original post, and in addition, the resolutions are changed and the primary display returns to being the laptop.

I've tried using different ports on the laptop, different DP ports on the dock, switching to HDMI (worse), changing such limited settings as there are on the monitor (LG 27EA83), to no avail.

The XPS13 and WD19 are common as chips. Surely other people have this hardware setup with Mint working properly?

Thanks in advance if anyone can shine a light on this!

Return to “Cinnamon”