How to increase size of controls

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RamBurner
Level 4
Level 4

How to increase size of controls

Post by RamBurner »

Since I started using a 50 inch monitor, I've increased the size of text, menu etc...
How do I increase the size of the controls in the upper right?
It's the same thing with Google Chrome that the controls are tiny and the bookmarks bar icons and text are tiny.
Screenshot from 2021-07-19.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: How to increase size of controls

Post by Moonstone Man »

RamBurner wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:51 am How do I increase the size of the controls in the upper right?
About the only thing you can do is use a theme based on Emerald. Some of the Cinnamox themes are based on it. I know the Cinnamox-Rhino theme has larger controls.

System Settings > Themes > Add/Remove

You won't be able to get larger controls than what's in those themes. I filed a bug report for this but the Mint devs were too dense to understand the problem. I suppose that they all work on tiny-screen laptops and have never seen a large or HiDPI display in their collective lives.
RamBurner
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RamBurner »

Thank you, I'll give that a run to see if it helps.
RamBurner
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RamBurner »

Well, unfortunately it really didn't increase the size of it. :(
Thank you for the response
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

RamBurner wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:39 am Well, unfortunately it really didn't increase the size of it. :(
Thank you for the response
Hmm... it works here. Let me see...

Ok, I'm using Cinnamox-Kashmir-Blue with 14pt text.

Try that.

Edit: For comparison

Screenshot_20210719_214858.jpg
Screenshot_20210719_214858.jpg (6.15 KiB) Viewed 7638 times
merriander
Level 1
Level 1

Post by merriander »

There is a github page from smurphos for Window Borders Mint19 at https://github.com/smurphos/Window_Borders_Mint_19 which works for Mint 20 as well.

There he has "Mint-Y-BB & Mint-Y-Dark-BB (Big-Buttoned) variations - these have buttons 50% larger than the stock Mint-Y window borders themes. Mint-Y-VBB & Mint-Y-Dark-VBB (Very-Big-Buttoned) variations - these have buttons 100% larger than the stock Mint-Y window borders themes."
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

I echo the support for Smurphos' Mint-Y-VBB. Not only are the buttons a sensible size, they also have a reasonable contrast and line thickness.
Cliff Coggin
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

As a last resort, you can increase the size and visibility of the control buttons by replacing 3 icons in the metacity-1 folder for the theme that is currently selected under Themes > Controls. I tested this method with Mint-X and Mint-Y. The other theme options are Adwaita and High Contrast but they don’t have a metacity-1 folder.

The screenshot below shows the default controls on the left when the Theme Controls are set to Mint-X, and the replaced controls on the right.

control buttons 4.png

The dimensions of the control box area for the minimize, maximize and close buttons allows increasing the button height more than the width. That’s why they are not completely round. If you or anyone else wants to try this method, then I will post the instructions along with a link to download the custom replacement icons I created.

When you hover over a button, it will change to it’s default appearance. This method doesn’t affect Firefox.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

roblm wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:58 pm If you or anyone else wants to try this method, then I will post the instructions along with a link to download the custom replacement icons I created.
Please do, roblm. I am keen to try them.
Cliff Coggin
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

If you are using Mint-X theme oontrols, then use this command to copy the Mint-X folder in /usr/share/themes/ to the .themes folder in Home (/home/user-name). This is a hidden folder:
cp -R /usr/share/themes/Mint-X ~/.themes

Now the original folder does not need to be modified. Any change made in .themes will override the settings in /usr/share/themes. Also, root authority is not needed to make changes.

Open the File Manager and then open the /.themes/Mint-X/metacity-1 folder. Rename these 3 icons to disable them. You can add xxx at the end.
close-focus-normal.svg
maximize-focus-normal.svg
minimize-focus-normal.svg

Download the Mint-X minimize-maximize-close icons.zip file below and extract the contents. This file will contain my 3 custom replacement icons for the original 3 icons listed above. Copy or move these icons to the /.themes/Mint-X/metacity-1 folder.

Mint-X minimize-maximize-close icons.zip
(3.54 KiB) Downloaded 143 times

Restart Cinnamon by pressing Alt+F2. Type the letter r and press ENTER.

If you need to revert back to the default control icons, then delete the Mint-X folder in .themes.
SaintDanBert
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SaintDanBert »

cliffcoggin wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:26 pm
roblm wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:58 pm If you or anyone else wants to try this method, then I will post the instructions along with a link to download the custom replacement icons I created.
Please do, roblm. I am keen to try them.
I, too, am interested in this and related issues...

1. Given a HiRes screen with Nvidia graphics, everything is tiny. If you set the display resolution to something else or 200% (Double) everything is huge and you lose the HiRes for things that need it. For example, GIMP is almost not usable because the tools and other controls are too small to operate.

2. How do you make the pointer cursor larger, more contrast, etc?

Thank you for listening,
~~~ 0;-Dan
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

roblm wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:31 pm
Thanks. I'll try that later today and report back.
Cliff Coggin
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

SaintDanBert wrote: 1. ...For example, GIMP is almost not usable because the tools and other controls are too small to operate.
To increase the size and visibility of the toolbox icons in GIMP, select Edit > Preferences and under the category Interface, select Icon Theme and then select Legacy to show icons with color.

In the menu window at the bottom, select Custom icon size and then move the slider to Huge.

I also think the default Dark theme makes viewing everything more difficult, so under Interface > Theme, I select System.

SaintDanBert wrote: 2. How do you make the pointer cursor larger, more contrast, etc?
On my 4K monitor, when I select Double (Hi-DPI) under User interface scale, my mouse cursor is also enlarged to a highly visible size.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

roblm wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:31 pm If you are using Mint-X theme oontrols, then use this command ...
Thanks Roblm. I tried those controls for a few days, but they were a little stark so I reverted to Smurphos's buttons which I find easier on the eye.
Cliff Coggin
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

cliffcoggin wrote: I tried those controls for a few days, but they were a little stark so I reverted to Smurphos's buttons which I find easier on the eye.
Those buttons were designed to be the largest and most highly visible, especially helpful if you are using a monitor with a very large screen and 4K resolution.

In the screenshot below on the right are minimize, maximize, and close buttons which would be easier on your eyes. They are the same color as the default ones on the left but larger, with no white background. This was done using Inkscape.

Mint-X minimize-maximize-close-icons-gray.png
Mint-X minimize-maximize-close-icons-gray.png (3.8 KiB) Viewed 7119 times

Download this file:
Mint-X minimize-maximize-close icons-gray.zip
(3.36 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Until Smurphos can figure out how to get his big buttons metacity theme ( be it rename or rebuild it for gtk 3.0) working in LM 21 ...i found this for those needing to use Linux Mint 21.

I found this. My thanks to those who have shared it before me and the gtk.css file creator

https://github.com/the-allanc/minty-col ... in/gtk.css

I have confirmed on a fresh install of Linux mint 21 cinnamon this DOES allow you to change the sys of the three title bar buttons ( minimize, maximize, close)

Here's exactly how I did it

1. I visited that link, I highlighted ALL content within it ( all 91 lines), went to where this that themes' creator said to save it and "create new document here" named it precisely what the creator named his, pasted that content, saved.

2. Created a backup copy of that gtk.css file and saved it elsewhere as gtk ( original).css
3. Opened it with a text editor. and changed the last main part where it says
/*Uncomment this section to increase the size of the icons. */
/* blah blah blah
and remove the /* from under the " Uncomment this section" part ( helps to change your theme colors within your text editor to Colbat imo ;) you'll be able to see the color change to better confirm you've successfully " Un " commented it so that way your edits will actually work.

4. where it says
-gtk-icon-transform: scale (1.5)
You can now SAVE that file, ctrl alt esc ( unless you've changed that default keyboard shortcut to restart cinnamon) can leave that as it to enjoy your new 50% size increase. 1.25 is 25% extra....do the math and tweak to your liking :D

I LOVE smurphos's big buttons metacity theme still the best given the cool circle kind of clear backup image that shows when I mouse my mouse over any of those buttons, but this is a start.

Cheers.

You can also adjust the title bar active/ inactive as well as the unfocused..etc color as shown in the site too
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

I want to update the info I previously posted for increasing the size of the control buttons. For Mint 21, that method doesn't work because of changes the developers made. They removed the icons for those buttons from the metacity-1 folder. You can use these instructions for Mint 21.

If you are using Mint-X Theme Icons, then use this command to copy the Mint-X folder in /usr/share/icons/ to the .icons folder in Home (/home/user-name). This is a hidden folder:
cp -R /usr/share/icons/Mint-X ~/.icons

Now the original folder does not need to be edited. Changes made in the .icons folder will override those in the original location and no root authority is needed.

Open the /.icons/Mint-X/actions/scalable folder and rename these 4 icons by adding xxx at the end:
window-close-symbolic.svg
window-maximize-symbolic.svg
window-minimize-symbolic.svg
window-restore-symbolic.svg

Download the Mint21 close-maximize-minimize-restore icons.zip file below and extract the contents. This file will contain my 4 custom replacement icons for the original 4 icons listed above. They are the original icons which have been enlarged using Inkscape.
Mint21 minimize-maximize-close icons.zip
(4.62 KiB) Downloaded 163 times

Copy or move these icons to the /.icons/Mint-X/actions/scalable folder. The window-maximize-symbolic.svg icon is identical to the window-restore-symbolic.svg icon. The maximize icon affects the Terminal and other apps with a black background such as Celluloid and Pix. The restore icon affects all other apps, including Firefox. The Software Sources app is the only one I found that is not affected.

If you need to revert back to the default control icons, then delete the Mint-X folder in the .icons folder.

Mint21 close-maximize-minimize-restore.png

If you are using Mint-Y Theme Icons, then use this command to copy the Mint-Y folder in /usr/share/icons/ to the .icons folder in Home:
cp -R /usr/share/icons/Mint-Y ~/.icons

Open the /.icons/Mint-Y/actions/symbolic folder and repeat the instructions above for the Mint-X Theme Icons.
tonywhelan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tonywhelan »

roblm wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:08 pm I want to update the info I previously posted for increasing the size of the control buttons. For Mint 21, that method doesn't work because of changes the developers made. They removed the icons for those buttons from the metacity-1 folder. You can use these instructions for Mint 21.
Thank you for this method which works well. I had previously thought of making the icons bigger but didn't know which of the many folders I needed to work on.

I am actually using a different method devised by user amc6010 - see https://github.com/the-allanc/minty-col ... s?raw=true

It was originally designed to provide coloured window titlebar for the in-focus window, but he added an optional bit of css code to allow 150% resizing of the window controls.

Interestingly if I use both methods together I get giant window buttons. Bigger than I need but could be interesting for some people.
Attachments
Selection_004.png
Selection_004.png (2.17 KiB) Viewed 4629 times
Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon household.
If your issue is solved, please edit your first post in the topic, adding [SOLVED] to the title.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

I confirmed last night that the info tonywhelan shared IS accurate for Linux Mint 21 as I found it from another link. I have not yet tested on the 20.x versions but have no reason to believe they won't work.

That github link is a long overdue idea for those who love the bigger buttons ( such as found with Smurphos's big buttons metacity theme deal I've loved using for 19.x and 20.x Mint versions)
You can also accomplished the same thing with ctrl + alt + esc
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
tonywhelan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tonywhelan »

[
motoryzen wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:01 pm I confirmed last night that the info tonywhelan shared IS accurate for Linux Mint 21 as I found it from another link. I have not yet tested on the 20.x versions but have no reason to believe they won't work.
I am fairly sure the gtk.css method of amc6010 did not work on my LM20.3 machine, only on LM21. I am now on LM21 so can't re-check
Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon household.
If your issue is solved, please edit your first post in the topic, adding [SOLVED] to the title.

Return to “Cinnamon”