Avoid taking into account cursor position when navigating through menu with keyboard

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Loufute
Level 1
Level 1

Avoid taking into account cursor position when navigating through menu with keyboard

Post by Loufute »

Hi everyone,

I encounter something annoying with the menu, and it remains after upgrading to Uma and the new Cinnamon version.
Whenever I am navigating through the menu using the keyboard (including when I want to use it a launcher), the position of the cursor is always taken into account, such that, if it is on a valid entry of the menu, the focus of the selection always goes to where the mouse cursor is.

I already filled some request on Github, but if one of you has a workaround in the meantime, it would be greatly appreciated, as I am more often using keyboard than mouse to navigate through menu. It is notable that, when the cursor is positioned hover the left pane (Browser, Update Manager, Settings...), I do not encounter this.

Any idea ?

Best,

Loufute
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Avoid taking into account cursor position when navigating through menu with keyboard

Post by Moonstone Man »

Loufute wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:16 am I already filled some request on Github, but if one of you has a workaround in the meantime, it would be greatly appreciated
The workaround is exceedingly simple. Move yuur mouse out of the menu's window.
Loufute
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Avoid taking into account cursor position when navigating through menu with keyboard

Post by Loufute »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:28 amMove yuur mouse out of the menu's window.
That'd be great if it was not a non-solution to me. Although I am often using my keyboard to navigate through Menu, I use the mouse a lot when navigating through GUIs. Meaning that the mouse cursor is often *anywhere* on the screen, and thus every now and then on the Menu area, always at a different place.
I am using the keyboard to navigate through the Menu to gain speed and easiness (more automated actions which take less time than moving the mouse cursor away from the menu). If I always have to move the cursor when it happens, then I loose this point and I loose time.

Now, another workaround could be not to take cursor position into account when it does not move (which is the way it works on Windows or OS X), but I do not know how to proceed in order to achieve that (e.g., if there is a file that could be recompiled or summit).
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Loufute wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:23 pm Meaning that the mouse cursor is often *anywhere* on the screen...
HA! Ok, that isn't normal but there is no evidence yet that it's a bug. There are three things:

1) Create a new user account and see if that suffers the same problem, but make sure that the mouse is outside of the menu window.
2) If the same thing happens, post the output of inxi -Fxz from a terminal and enclose it in code tags [code]output.here[/code]. You'll see the code tags icon </> when you reply.
3) Try a different mouse.
Loufute
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Loufute »

Than you for your kind help, but I think I misexplained myself. When I say that the cursor can be anywhere, it is in the sense that I use it to click on something, and then do not consciously think of where I will leave it, I just remove my hand from the trackpad, leaving it where it is, and thus, in a certain amount of cases, in the area of the menu.
So that's definitely not a bug... Or at least not of the computer side :wink:

But it is still annoying to me that, when I leave the cursor in the menu area, and use the keyboard, mouse cursor position, even if it does not move, has priority over keyboard actions.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Loufute wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:35 am ... when I leave the cursor in the menu area, and use the keyboard, mouse cursor position, even if it does not move, has priority over keyboard actions.
I think that's the salient point that's missing from your github submission. The developers doing the reading over there don't seem to be all that bright. Certainly they have difficulty with more than a few sentences, and I've experienced that on several occasions with them. To get it looked at, I recommend reducing the text of your submission and including the point that when the keyboard is active in the menu, the mouse should not take priority.

Perhaps that will get it the attention it deserves. It's not often, indeed it's rare, that we see a genuine issue that ought to be looked at so kudos to you.
Loufute
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Loufute »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:55 amI recommend reducing the text of your submission and including the point that when the keyboard is active in the menu, the mouse should not take priority.
Many thanks for the help, it is appreciated. It is not often easy to me to know what should or should not appear there.
I changed the title and added a TLDR part, and tried reducing the other ones.

Yet again, if anyone has advises on how to tackle that, I am still interested (not knowing how much time it will take for this issue to get attention).
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Loufute wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:04 am Yet again, if anyone has advises on how to tackle that, I am still interested ...
I still think moving the mouse out of focus is the way to go but that's less convenient with a trackpad and much easier with a mouse.
Loufute
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Loufute »

I am already applying that advice of course :) But indeed I am seeking for something more convenient ^^

Return to “Cinnamon”