How to rearrange icons in panel of Linux Mint 20?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ablebaker
Level 3
Level 3

How to rearrange icons in panel of Linux Mint 20?

Post by ablebaker »

Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon is installed. I have several windows of the Terminal in the panel, shown by a single icon with the number of windows displayed in the upper left corner of the icon. I would like to have these appear as separate icons in the panel, and be able to rearrange them by clicking and dragging to a new location in the panel. I have disabled window thumbnails on hover, if that makes any difference. Thanks for guidance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How to rearrange icons in panel of Linux Mint 20?

Post by all41 »

Grouped panel icons are enabled by default.
Right click the icon and choose Preferences, then under Configure
you will see how to disable grouping
windows list grouping.jpg
windows list grouping.jpg (45.71 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
ablebaker
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How to rearrange icons in panel of Linux Mint 20?

Post by ablebaker »

I disabled grouping and now only one Terminal icon appears in the panel even though I open several windows of Terminal. Further, now when I try to add an icon to the panel, it duplicates three existing icons on both the left and right side of the panel.

The panel settings are badly messed up. I reset Applets and turned off "Show thumbnails" in the Grouped Window List. Now the windows of each separate icon appear in the panel (as I want), but still am unable to click and drag each one to a different location on the panel.

Return to “Cinnamon”