Can I copy a working display config file to another ubuntu based distro that is not working right ?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brjoon1021
Level 2
Level 2

Can I copy a working display config file to another ubuntu based distro that is not working right ?

Post by brjoon1021 »

Hi,

I have one robust laptop running Mint Cinnamon and it is dispalying my 2 monitors via Dell docking station, perfectly.

I have a wimpy laptop that I installed bodhi linux on. It is having trouble ignoring my laptop's display when it is on the docking station, thus I have two large blank screens while it is trying to use the laptops closed lid as the display. I have had this issue endless times with distros and can only use a few, Mint among them. I am hoping there is a fix ?

Can I copy the config file that is working in Mint to the my Bodhi installation ? if so, how ? Bodhi is a REALLY great option for old hardware like the laptop in question
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Can I copy a working dispaly config file to another ubuntu based distro that is not working right ?

Post by AZgl1800 »

Doubtful,

the hardware is different.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
brjoon1021
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Can I copy a working display config file to another ubuntu based distro that is not working right ?

Post by brjoon1021 »

I just tried the live USB of mint and it works great too on the very same laptop so how do I copy its configuration file to the installed version of Bodhi on the same laptop ?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Can I copy a working display config file to another ubuntu based distro that is not working right ?

Post by SMG »

brjoon1021 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:09 pm I just tried the live USB of mint and it works great too on the very same laptop so how do I copy its configuration file to the installed version of Bodhi on the same laptop ?
Did you do anything special on the live USB version to make the monitors work? If not, then combination of the graphics driver and the cinnamon-monitors.xml file (and some others) is what made it happen.

I am not aware Bodhi uses the Cinnamon desktop, so I do not know how you would transfer the files. Those files do not even transfer between the different desktops available in Mint.

However, maybe someone will know how to help you with the Bodhi set-up.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
brjoon1021
Level 2
Level 2

Post by brjoon1021 »

Nothing special. Both monitors work fine with the live usb.
brjoon1021
Level 2
Level 2

Monitors / docking station help please.

Post by brjoon1021 »

Hi,
I have several older Dell laptops, two monitors connected by a Dell docking station. I have Mint on several of them, but one is a little older with less RAM than the others so I am trying lighter distributions. I found Bodhi Linux, also based on ubuntu to do the trick, kind of....

The latest Cinnamon version of mint runs just fine installed and as LiveUSB, on the slower laptop, but Bodhi (installed on the hard drive) is having trouble with the somewhat complex monitor situation.

Can I copy any configuration files from the working Live mint USB to the not working so well Bodhi installation to get it to work ?

Thanks,
b

Return to “Chat about Linux”