Shortcut to open audio menu?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Darkmaster006
Level 1
Level 1

Shortcut to open audio menu?

Post by Darkmaster006 »

Hello! So I have this question: what's the shortcut to open the audio menu in the toolbar? For example, Super+C gives you the 'Calendar' menu, and I'm pretty sure I'd used Super+A for the 'Audio' menu for a while, but then it stopped working. Is this an actual shortcut or am I misremembering? How can I configure this shortcut? I can't find it on 'Shortcuts', so if anyone could point me to it that'd be cool. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Shortcut to open audio menu?

Post by vimes666 »

I assume you are using cinnamon and I assume that with 'audio menu' you mean 'sound preferences'.
Open the menu and click <Preferences><Keyboard><Shortcuts>
Click on the 'Add custom shortcut' button
Give the button an name like 'audio menu'
Copy this in the command field: cinnamon-settings sound
Click 'Add'
Double click the first line in the bottom right pane that says 'unassigned' and type your shortkey super-A.
Close the window and you're done.
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

In LM 20 Cinnamon it is SHIFT+Super(Windows key)+S by default. Also you can change it and/or create a new one with right click on sound icon in panel>Configure..
Screenshot from 2021-10-15 18-11-23.png
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
Darkmaster006
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Darkmaster006 »

vimes666 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:57 am I assume you are using cinnamon and I assume that with 'audio menu' you mean 'sound preferences'.
Open the menu and click <Preferences><Keyboard><Shortcuts>
Click on the 'Add custom shortcut' button
Give the button an name like 'audio menu'
Copy this in the command field: cinnamon-settings sound
Click 'Add'
Double click the first line in the bottom right pane that says 'unassigned' and type your shortkey super-A.
Close the window and you're done.
Nope, I meant the menu you get in the toolbar, not the settings. But thanks for the explanation anyway!
Jo-con-Ël wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:14 pm In LM 20 Cinnamon it is SHIFT+Super(Windows key)+S by default. Also you can change it and/or create a new one with right click on sound icon in panel>Configure.. Screenshot from 2021-10-15 18-11-23.png
This is exactly what I was looking for. Super+Shift+S works. However, changing it to Super+S breaks it (that is, the menu does not open). I guess that's why the added the Shift... but I wonder, why? What is keeping it? Is there another shortcut mapped? But Super+S does nothing, so I'm confused. If you map it to Super+A, though, it works correctly. Any ideas for why Super+S wouldn't work? And thank you very much, I had no idea that 'Configure' window existed.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

Darkmaster006 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:17 pm However, changing it to Super+S breaks it (that is, the menu does not open). I guess that's why the added the Shift... but I wonder, why? What is keeping it? Is there another shortcut mapped? But Super+S does nothing, so I'm confused. If you map it to Super+A, though, it works correctly. Any ideas for why Super+S wouldn't work? And thank you very much, I had no idea that 'Configure' window existed.
If you have no desklet installed (see Menu>System Settings>Desklets or run cinnamon-settings desklets to confirm), Super+S does nothing, but yes, that's why you can't use this shortcut, as it is already assigned.

Super+S shows/arises desklets. by example when working on a maximized window (in my case only clock desklet is installed) with no need to show desktop or minimizing windows.
Captura de pantalla de 2021-10-22 17-36-45.png
in the same way as middle click (or right click>Show desklets) on show desktop icon on panel.
Screenshot from 2021-10-22 18-31-43.png
Screenshot from 2021-10-22 18-31-43.png (10.36 KiB) Viewed 1287 times

See Menu>System Settings>Keyboard>Shortcuts>General>Show Desklets
Screenshot from 2021-10-22 17-57-12.png
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.

Return to “Cinnamon”