Cinnamon random lockups for 10-45 seconds

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
spoo333

Re: Cinnamon random lockups for 10-45 seconds

Post by spoo333 »

I'm like you. No need to change unless there is a pressing issue, as has been the case for me with Cinnamon.

My question was really about whether you want me to embark on another DE experiment to gather more potential evidence regarding the issues on my computers. ie if i install another DE and it works without any of the lock-ups I experience in Cinnamon, then it does look likely that I've got a Cinnamon, not a btrfs/low latency kernel etc. problem.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

spoo333 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:00 pmMy question was really about whether you want me to embark on another DE experiment to gather more potential evidence regarding the issues on my computers. ie if i install another DE and it works without any of the lock-ups I experience in Cinnamon, then it does look likely that I've got a Cinnamon, not a btrfs/low latency kernel etc. problem.
That is up to you. I do not have any special access to the developers to know if that type of information might help them. When people give feedback in topics, I apply that knowledge to helping others in the future.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
spoo333

Post by spoo333 »

SMG wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:07 pm That is up to you. I do not have any special access to the developers to know if that type of information might help them. When people give feedback in topics, I apply that knowledge to helping others in the future.
Ok, well in that case I won't bother with another DE. If this is a bug, then I hope it will get fixed one day. If not, time to find a replacement DE :(
spoo333

Post by spoo333 »

Happy to report that this appears to be fixed in Cinnamon 5.4 (and kernel 5.15?). No lockups over the last 10 days. Looking promising. Thank you developers :D
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

I presume that means you've been running the beta (because LM21 officially released yesterday). If that keeps up, you'll be able to mark this topic solved. :)

Perhaps the rebase of the windows manager made the difference.
spoo333

Post by spoo333 »

Yes I've been running the beta with all updates.
SMG wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:25 am Perhaps the rebase of the windows manager made the difference.
I think so. Previous Cinnamon never felt quite right, laggy program starts, mouse clicks not registering at times, lockups etc., yet 5.4 appears to be a return to the stability I've come to love (and expect :lol: ) over the years.
Will give it a few more days before I mark this solved
spoo333

Post by spoo333 »

Marking this solved. No issues whatsoever since Cinnamon 5.4 :D
Last edited by spoo333 on Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Cinnamon random lockups for 10-45 seconds [solved]

Post by SMG »

spoo333 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:37 am Marking this solved.
To mark the topic solved, please go to your very first post in this topic, click the pencil icon, and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the title.

Enjoy your Mint 21 installs. :)
spoo333

Post by spoo333 »

Thank you. Will fix this now
spoo333

Re: [SOLVED] Cinnamon random lockups for 10-45 seconds

Post by spoo333 »

Unfortunately some of the issues described above have returned - programs don't load about 30min into a DE session, file dialogues don't open when eg I try to save a file with a web browser (both Waterfox and Brave) and LM tells me eventually that the browser has crashed, Transmission is in perma opening state, etc ... :cry: Everything was working fine for a while with LM 21. I don't know if it was a kernel update (tried an OEM kernel, subjectively a little better but not good enough) or something else under the hood or Cinnamon. I'll try a different DE. Wouldn't be surprised if other DE worked fine, as was the case with LM20.3.
As long as I log out and back in every 30min or so, everything works ok, but that is somewhat cumbersome :lol:

PS: The 10-45 second lockups are still gone, so that's an improvement

PPS: Would it be better if I started a new thread for this?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: [SOLVED] Cinnamon random lockups for 10-45 seconds

Post by SMG »

spoo333 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:08 amEverything was working fine for a while with LM 21. I don't know if it was a kernel update (tried an OEM kernel, subjectively a little better but not good enough) or something else under the hood or Cinnamon
And rolling back to a snapshot did not fix the issue?

Cinnamon has gone through a number of updates since LM21 was released so there are quite a few variables at play in this type of situation.
spoo333 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:08 amPPS: Would it be better if I started a new thread for this?
Yes, I would suggest that. You can provide a link to this topic if you think it is appropriate, but there were a lot of changes made to Cinnamon and its window manager in LM21 so I'm not sure how much of this topic may still be appropriate.
spoo333

Post by spoo333 »

True, I forgot to consider using a past snapshot. Snapshots i find useful temporarily, however once the system gets updated, the whole process of "is a new update beneficial to system stability or not" starts again.

I see you're still on LM 20.3. I was going to suggest that I was too quick to switch to LM21, but then I remembered that 20.3 wasn't much fun for me either :lol:

Good to hear that there have been a number of updates since the LM21 release - system stability was 100% in the first few weeks post installation for me on all 3 computers - now one laptop has occasional lockups for 10-30 sec, the other laptop I've not used much but has seemed fine and my desktop is either purring like a happy kitten or unusable after 30 min of issue free work.

I guess since LM21 worked like a charm for me for a few weeks and I haven't made any major changes other than what updates came down the line plus one or two ordinary apps installed or removed, there is not much that can be done other than hope and pray that one day LM21 returns to the level of stability I got to enjoy post initial release
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

spoo333 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:00 pmI see you're still on LM 20.3. I was going to suggest that I was too quick to switch to LM21, but then I remembered that 20.3 wasn't much fun for me either
I had a problem with Firefox before LM21 came out. I didn't want to complicate the troubleshooting by changing variables and upgrading. I'm currently in the middle of regression testing Firefox versions to help pinpoint the source of the issue so it may be a while before I upgrade. There have been quite a few of us having the issue and we haven't yet been able to determine the trigger for it so testing just one version to determine good or bad can take up to two days.
spoo333 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:00 pmGood to hear that there have been a number of updates since the LM21 release - system stability was 100% in the first few weeks post installation for me on all 3 computers - now one laptop has occasional lockups for 10-30 sec, the other laptop I've not used much but has seemed fine and my desktop is either purring like a happy kitten or unusable after 30 min of issue free work.
I do not have any ideas what the issue might be. I don't recall seeing others mention stability issues, but I don't necessarily read every post.
spoo333

Post by spoo333 »

Good luck with your Firefox issue.

Performed an update a few hours ago - two packages were listed: systemd and speech-dispatcher. Don't know if other packages got upgraded as part of those packages. Since the upgrade the system has been running flawlessly for 4 hours :? Can't imagine it's down to systemd, or could it be?? Anyway, I'll keep a log of packages that get updated and any positive or negative impact on overall stability and performance.
spoo333

Post by spoo333 »

PS after 6 hours of no issues problems are back. Ie programs not starting (screen shot utility), recycle bin not accessible ...
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

spoo333 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:22 pm PS after 6 hours of no issues problems are back. Ie programs not starting (screen shot utility), recycle bin not accessible ...
Time to create a new topic.
spoo333

Post by spoo333 »

Do you know what the following error message indicates?

The peer-to-peer connection failed: Timeout was reached. Falling back to the session bus. Your application is probably missing --filesystem=xdg-run/gvfsd privileges
spoo333

Post by spoo333 »

Could those issues be related?

https://discuss.getsol.us/d/7689-nautli ... s-error/34

https://github.com/keybase/client/issues/24834
[this one in particular describes exactly the issues I have: file dialogue boxes, browsers etc
spoo333

Post by spoo333 »

I think I can reproduce this behaviour:

what I did was I installed Gnome and made Nemo default file browser. A few hours into the session Nemo became unresponsive, e.g couldn't access the trash folder. Nemo had become unresponsive. I deleted all Nemo processes and tried to start Nemo via the command line. I got the error message above. Assumed I had found the culprit - Nemo. Tried to load Nautilus via command line - same exact message. Tried to load Thunar, albeit not via the command line, didn't load and I imagine would have shown the exact same error message re gvfsd privileges.
Then I rebooted the computer and logged in on Cinnamon. A few hours into the session with everything fine until then I couldn't access the trash folder via the file explorer icon. Killed all Nemo processes. Tried to launch Nemo via command line. Again, the gvfsd privileges error message.
spoo333

Post by spoo333 »

If I killall gvfsd, Nemo seems to restart gvfsd automatically, and voila, Nemo appears again. Definite progress. What I don't know is why gvfsd hangs at some point into the session and why it didn't do that in the first 2-3 weeks after installing Mint 21 and why I never had a problem with it on the same computer prior to LM 19.3

Return to “Cinnamon”