[SOLVED] Location bar in temporary file manager

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
amonti94
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Location bar in temporary file manager

Post by amonti94 »

Hi! Sorry in advance if this has been asked before, I did a search both here and on google but have found nothing.

Is there a way to get a proper location path bar when opening a temporary file manager in cinnamon, instead of the buttons one?

I mean this window, that opens as an example from a browser when downloading something, or from internal cinnamon functions:

Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Location bar in temporary file manager

Post by absque fenestris »

With the "Toggle Location Entry" icon you can change the display mode.

However, in the browser preview - before you have saved the download object - only the limited options as shown in your screenshot are available.
amonti94
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amonti94 »

Thank you, I know you can do it in Nemo, that's why I hoped it was also possible somehow in that temporary mode.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Is there a way to get a proper location path bar when opening a temporary file manager in cinnamon
How do I open a temporary file manager in cinnamon? I am using LM 19.3 Cinnamon.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I'm suspecting the OP's first language isn't English and that's causing some confusion. There's no such thing as a "temporary file manager", that's just a file menu for import/export embedded in some bit of app software, Blender here. It has nothing to do with the file manager that came with your version of Mint. Whether it supports an editable location bar is entirely up to the developers of whatever program you're talking about.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
amonti94
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amonti94 »

Indeed I'm not a native Eglish speaker and I might have phrased this wrongly, though that windows is embedded in Mint, it's not related to any particular software and it's not dependent by which file manager is selected as default.

It's the only file browser available to me when a "temporary" (or a "one-time" maybe) read/write action is needed, can be a download, a file selection for the startup applications (as in my screenshot) or for a desktop launcher etc..
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

It's just the "open/browse to file" dialogue window. The OP is probably right-clicking on the Desktop, clicking "create launcher here", then clicking "Browse" next to the "Command", which opens up a window titled "Choose a command", which looks like the Spanish? Portuguese? text in the OP's picture.

I think that's a GTK thing, not necessarily a Mint thing, though not sure.

I started looking into dconf-editor and found the following setting at org.gtk.settings.file-chooser.location-mode:
pathbar.png
This setting can be changed to "filename-entry":
filename.png
However, after applying the change, closing dconf-editor and redoing the "right-click on Desktop/Create launcher here/Command -> Browse", the setting gets reset back to "path-bar":
reset.png
So I'm not sure if this is a bug, or if Mint/Cinnamon somehow overrides those org.gtk settings as intended. This is because dconf-editor has a lot of redundant or even obsolete settings in it.

You might want to report to the devs if you want: https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues
amonti94
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amonti94 »

spamegg wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:44 am I think that's a GTK thing, not necessarily a Mint thing, though not sure.
Thanks for looking into this, I didn't know where to start honestly, I thought it was DE dependent.

It is indeed the GTK file chooser, and after searching a bit I found out kinda what I was looking for.
If you type "/" it will enter into a path mode with auto-completion, in Firefox it ends up in the name bar, so you first need to go to the first character or it will erase the default download name...

It's really a terrible design imho, but definitely not a Mint thing, will mark as SOLVED
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: [SOLVED] Location bar in temporary file manager

Post by spamegg »

Alright then, hope it helped a little.

I found org.nemo.preferences.show-location-entry which DOES work for normal Nemo windows, but still nothing for the GTK "open file dialog".

In org.gtk.settings.file-chooser there are A LOT of settings, and I think one of my other settings is conflicting with the "filepath-entry" option, causing it to reset or get overridden, but I can't figure it out.

Return to “Cinnamon”