LM20.2 Cinnamon excessive space between Menu and dropdown menu items

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linoleum
Level 2
Level 2

LM20.2 Cinnamon excessive space between Menu and dropdown menu items

Post by linoleum »

Hi all. I've got one peeve and one problem since I upgraded from LM18.3 just recently. I am a relative noob despite the length of time I've been running LM (I started with 17.1) but I wasn't bad with MS W*nd*ws so thought I'd be able to sort these out easily.

The 'peeve' is why are the contents (icons and text descriptions) of the menus (LM's own plus those in installed apps) so large and spaced out? In LM18 they were condensed with little space in between lines and fitted on my screen without any need to scroll but in LM20.2 I have to scroll quite a few to get to the bottom. How do I make them small, neat and tidy again? Is it something to do with the MintY theme?

The 'problem' I have appears to be predominantly in LibreOffice and it's menu related again. It does peeve me that, once again, the icons are huge and the space between them excessive but I'm trying to print off a document and the Print menu is too long for the screen and there's no scroll bar or arrowhead to enable me to get to the bottom where the 'Print' button is. I can grab the menu by its title and move it around the screen but it won't let me get to the bottom of the menu. I've attached a screengrab. Any suggestions as to what I can do?

Thanks in anticipation.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2021-11-23 18-07-38.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: LM20.2 Cinnamon excessive space between Menu and dropdown menu items

Post by mikeflan »

I don't think this will help, but you might want to install libreoffice-gtk3 and see what it can do.
linoleum
Level 2
Level 2

Post by linoleum »

Hi, I've just tried that from here: https://community.linuxmint.com/softwar ... ffice-gtk3 and it tells me the package is already installed.
eu2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eu2 »

Not a fix, but alt left click and dragging the window up should give you access to the buttons hidden behind the taskbar.

Wonder if it has anything to do with text scaling, user interface scaling, visual aids, or the theme you are using?

Good luck as it's an interesting issue.

Edit: Also not a fix but that Print window is resizeable ie mouse over one of the top corners then grab and move down.
Then you can grab the Title and move it up to get to your buttons.
linoleum
Level 2
Level 2

Post by linoleum »

Thanks, eu2, alt-left click and scroll up has given me access to the buttons at the bottom of the menu so that's a start. I can't re-size the menu; the only things I can do is grab the title and move it around, grab the left hand border and make it wider and, now, alt-left click > scroll.

Sadly, as you say, it's not a fix and still leaves me with the widely spaced, clunky menus in 'my' LM20.2. See my latest screengrab of the LM Menu for example. (This is on my 17 inch 1600 x 900 screen.) I really feel that this issue causes the LibreOffice menu problems too. Does anyone else have a suggestion how I can condense the menus, icon sizes, etc.? Is it a theme issue?
Attachments
Screenshot from 2021-11-25 10-56-47.png
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

Hi Linoleum,
Go to this page and make the resolution bigger'
System settings.png
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920Q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit
linoleum
Level 2
Level 2

Post by linoleum »

Thanks, Peter, but I'm at the highest res for my laptop. But I don't think resolution is the, er, solution as it was at this same resolution under 18.3 where everything was small, neat and tidy.

I can and have changed the size of the font and icons on the Panel at the bottom of the screen and on the Desktop but this doesn't effect LM or application menus generally/globally that's why I think it's theme related.
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

Now try Qt5 settings.
Qt5.png
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920Q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Somehow in this thread different things seem to be mixed, on the one hand settings in the Cinnamon Menu, on the other hand peculiarities of LibreOffice and maybe also wrong screen settings.

About the Cinnamon Menu: with a right click on the Cinnamon Menu you can select "Configure..." and adjust the appearance of the menu to your own wishes.

My modifications: I like to have system settings and applications separated. On the top left, in the favorites bar, I placed the icon for "System Settings", on the other hand I removed "Preferences" from the menu selection list. This immediately makes the menu much clearer, since only applications are listed.
If I need access to the system settings, a click on the icon in the favorites is enough and all settings are clearly presented.
Furthermore, I have renamed all applications with the correct name, with which they can also be run in the terminal - and all comments are removed.

With these measures it is the fastest and clearest menu known to me (... if the directories in "Places" were combined with a waterfall display of the content, my happiness would be practically complete...).

As for LibreOffice, it presents itself on a 1500x1000 pixel workspace like this - print dialog box opened, additionally all options are open under > more.

Addendum: I just tested LO 7.2 as an AppImage in addition to the officially shipped LO version 6.4.7.2 (and also looked at the LO print dialog in Windows 10, where it looks small and really crappy).

linoleum
Level 2
Level 2

Post by linoleum »

Peter & AF,
Thanks, you've given me something to work on.

Return to “Cinnamon”