Fractional scaling disabled after suspend

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ViniciusBortoletto
Level 1
Level 1

Fractional scaling disabled after suspend

Post by ViniciusBortoletto »

I'm using fractional scaling on my laptop and everything work fine. But when I close the lid/suspend it, the scaling is disabled after I log back in. Why is that happening?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Fractional scaling disabled after suspend

Post by SMG »

ViniciusBortoletto wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:17 pm I'm using fractional scaling on my laptop and everything work fine. But when I close the lid/suspend it, the scaling is disabled after I log back in. Why is that happening?
Please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal: inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know what version of Mint you are using and how Mint sees your hardware with regards to drivers.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
ViniciusBortoletto
Level 1
Level 1

SMG wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:55 pm
ViniciusBortoletto wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:17 pm I'm using fractional scaling on my laptop and everything work fine. But when I close the lid/suspend it, the scaling is disabled after I log back in. Why is that happening?
Please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal: inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know what version of Mint you are using and how Mint sees your hardware with regards to drivers.

Code: Select all

System:
  Kernel: 5.4.0-96-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 
  Desktop: Cinnamon 5.2.7 wm: muffin 5.2.0 dm: LightDM 1.30.0 
  Distro: Linux Mint 20.3 Una base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: Acer product: Aspire A515-54G v: V1.22 
  serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: CML model: Doc_WC v: V1.22 serial: <filter> UEFI: Insyde v: 1.22 
  date: 12/14/2020 
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT1 charge: 26.7 Wh condition: 46.0/47.8 Wh (96%) volts: 12.0/11.2 
  model: LGC AP18C8K type: Li-ion serial: <filter> status: Charging 
CPU:
  Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i5-10210U bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  arch: Kaby Lake rev: C L2 cache: 6144 KiB 
  flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx 
  bogomips: 33599 
  Speed: 900 MHz min/max: 400/4200 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 900 2: 900 
  3: 900 4: 900 5: 900 6: 900 7: 900 8: 900 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: i915 
  v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:9b41 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GP108M [GeForce MX250] vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI 
  driver: nvidia v: 470.86 bus ID: 02:00.0 chip ID: 10de:1d13 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: modesetting,nvidia 
  unloaded: fbdev,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce MX250/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 470.86 
  direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: snd_hda_intel 
  v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.3 chip ID: 8086:02c8 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-96-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: r8169 v: kernel port: 3000 
  bus ID: 03:00.0 chip ID: 10ec:8168 
  IF: enp3s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
  Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter 
  vendor: Lite-On driver: ath10k_pci v: kernel port: 3000 bus ID: 04:00.0 
  chip ID: 168c:0042 
  IF: wlp4s0 state: up mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 685.61 GiB used: 64.50 GiB (9.4%) 
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: A-Data model: IM2P33F8BR2-256GB 
  size: 238.47 GiB speed: 31.6 Gb/s lanes: 4 serial: <filter> rev: T0214B0L 
  scheme: GPT 
  ID-2: /dev/sda model: SSD 480GB size: 447.13 GiB speed: 6.0 Gb/s 
  serial: <filter> rev: 0326 scheme: GPT 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 233.24 GiB used: 64.50 GiB (27.7%) fs: ext4 
  dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 74.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 75 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Repos:
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list 
  1: deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg arch=amd64] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ stable main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/home:manuelschneid3r.list 
  1: deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/manuelschneid3r/xUbuntu_20.04/ /
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list 
  1: deb http://mirror.ufscar.br/mint-archive una main upstream import backport
  2: deb http://ubuntu-archive.locaweb.com.br/ubuntu focal main restricted universe multiverse
  3: deb http://ubuntu-archive.locaweb.com.br/ubuntu focal-updates main restricted universe multiverse
  4: deb http://ubuntu-archive.locaweb.com.br/ubuntu focal-backports main restricted universe multiverse
  5: deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted universe multiverse
  6: deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ focal partner
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vscode.list 
  1: deb [arch=amd64,arm64,armhf] http://packages.microsoft.com/repos/code stable main
Info:
  Processes: 314 Uptime: 2h 28m Memory: 7.60 GiB used: 2.65 GiB (34.9%) 
  Init: systemd v: 245 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 alt: 9 Shell: bash 
  v: 5.0.17 running in: gnome-terminal inxi: 3.0.38 

SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

With a 10th-gen Intel CPU, I recommend using a newer kernel than 5.4. That will provide a newer i915 Intel graphics driver and maybe that will help this situation.

Instructions for upgrading to the 5.13 kernel:
  • Open Update Manager.
  • Select View > Linux Kernels and click Continue.
  • Make sure 5.13 is selected on the left panel and then click the top-most option on the right panel. An "Install" button will appear.
  • Install the kernel and then reboot for it to become active.
These temps seem rather on the high side. Make sure all your vents are clear and clean.

Sensors:
ViniciusBortoletto
Level 1
Level 1

SMG wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:27 pm With a 10th-gen Intel CPU, I recommend using a newer kernel than 5.4. That will provide a newer i915 Intel graphics driver and maybe that will help this situation.

Instructions for upgrading to the 5.13 kernel:
  • Open Update Manager.
  • Select View > Linux Kernels and click Continue.
  • Make sure 5.13 is selected on the left panel and then click the top-most option on the right panel. An "Install" button will appear.
  • Install the kernel and then reboot for it to become active.
These temps seem rather on the high side. Make sure all your vents are clear and clean.

Sensors:
I updated the kernel, but it didn't fixed my problem. :(
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

ViniciusBortoletto wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:17 pm I'm using fractional scaling on my laptop and everything work fine.
I understand this to me that you went to the Display app Settings tab and turned on the "Enable fractional scaling controls (experimental)". Then on the Layout page you made your desired settings changes.
ViniciusBortoletto wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:17 pmBut when I close the lid/suspend it, the scaling is disabled after I log back in.
Does this mean when you logged back in the "Enable fractional scaling controls (experimental)" was turned off?

Have you checked to make sure your computer is running the most recent BIOS/UEFI available?
ViniciusBortoletto
Level 1
Level 1

SMG wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:44 pm
ViniciusBortoletto wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:17 pm I'm using fractional scaling on my laptop and everything work fine.
I understand this to me that you went to the Display app Settings tab and turned on the "Enable fractional scaling controls (experimental)". Then on the Layout page you made your desired settings changes.
ViniciusBortoletto wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:17 pmBut when I close the lid/suspend it, the scaling is disabled after I log back in.
Does this mean when you logged back in the "Enable fractional scaling controls (experimental)" was turned off?

Have you checked to make sure your computer is running the most recent BIOS/UEFI available?

Everything is up to date here.

After I log back the "Enable fractional scaling controls (experimental)" in the Settings tab is still turned on, but the "Fractional Scaling" in the Layout tab is turned off.

SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

ViniciusBortoletto wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:28 pmAfter I log back the "Enable fractional scaling controls (experimental)" in the Settings tab is still turned on, but the "Fractional Scaling" in the Layout tab is turned off.
I presume when you make the initial settings you click the Apply button, correct? Doing that creates a cinnamon-monitors.xml file in the .config directory (a hidden directory under /home).

I did find this bug report Resuming from hibernate resets fractional scaling by setting user interface scaling to automatic #9483 which might be related to what you are experiencing. That was back when the fractional scaling option (to enable it) was set up slightly differently. That person also has a laptop with dual graphics like you do.

What fractional scaling percentage are you using?
ViniciusBortoletto
Level 1
Level 1

SMG wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:59 pm
ViniciusBortoletto wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:28 pmAfter I log back the "Enable fractional scaling controls (experimental)" in the Settings tab is still turned on, but the "Fractional Scaling" in the Layout tab is turned off.
I presume when you make the initial settings you click the Apply button, correct? Doing that creates a cinnamon-monitors.xml file in the .config directory (a hidden directory under /home).

I did find this bug report Resuming from hibernate resets fractional scaling by setting user interface scaling to automatic #9483 which might be related to what you are experiencing. That was back when the fractional scaling option (to enable it) was set up slightly differently. That person also has a laptop with dual graphics like you do.

What fractional scaling percentage are you using?
Yes, I'm applying the settings.

I was setting the scaling to 125%, but now I'm getting a different error when I try to set the scaling:

Linux is pain.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

ViniciusBortoletto wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:10 amI was setting the scaling to 125%, but now I'm getting a different error when I try to set the scaling:
This is happening after you try to reset the scaling after resuming from suspend?

Does fresh booting into the system still produce the desired graphics (ie. this new problem only happens after resuming from suspend)?

How hot is your system when you are doing this? I noticed earlier the temps you posted were quite on the warm side. High temps can mess with graphics output.

What is the output of inxi -SGsxxx?
ViniciusBortoletto
Level 1
Level 1

I kinda "solved" this issue by not using fractional scaling. Instead I just changed my display resolution from 1920x1080 to 1440x810. Now everything is scaled and working fine. Thanks for the help anyway.
linuxovios
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linuxovios »

I have the same problem (NOV 2022) with my new laptop.... Just installed mint 21 and noticed that after suspend I lose my scaling setting (125%) and the system reverts to 100%. This is annoying...

My system report: https://termbin.com/k8jac
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

linuxovios wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:29 am I have the same problem (NOV 2022) with my new laptop.... Just installed mint 21
Which means you should not be posting on this older topic. You should have either created your own topic or added to a topic where someone is using Mint 21 such as this one Monitor Scale reset when waking up. There are actually several topics about this issue in Linux Mint 21.

If you look at the other topic, you'll see this is a known issue with LM21 and the bug report (which is not the bug report mentioned in this topic) has many people with Lenovos reporting the issue.

Locking this nearly year old topic.

Return to “Cinnamon”