Cast Desktop to Chromecast WITH AUDIO

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
technical_john
Level 1
Level 1

Cast Desktop to Chromecast WITH AUDIO

Post by technical_john »

With teleconference apps, like Zoom, I have a need to cast the entire desktop to chromecast WITH AUDIO. Of course, I tried using Chrome's built in "Cast..." but all it sends is the video and not the audio. Of note: Using Windows 10, on the same computer, I can use Chrome's built-in cast and it sends the desktop including audio.

So off I went to find a solution to this, because I'm doing my best to keep Winbloze out of my house... and here I am asking for help since there seems to be be no current answer beyond "use an hdmi cable".

I did eventually find this from 2020: How to Cast Your Gnome Shell Desktop to Chromecast But I have Mint installed with Cinnamon and I have NO intention of putting Gnome on.

So, I'm asking for guidance/redirection:
  1. Start with the basic question, am I missing something with regard to casting the desktop with audio to chromecast?
  2. Am I missing something obvious in Cinnamon to enable the Chrome browser to cast the desktop with audio?
  3. I'm a programmer, so would it be worthwhile to look at converting the Gnome extension to a Cinnamon Spice?
I appreciate this community! Thank you for any input!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Cast Desktop to Chromecast WITH AUDIO

Post by RIH »

I have never tried to cast Zoom, so I am at a bit of a disadvantage.
However, I have had no issues casting various items to my TV via the cast instruction including sound.
Some site, however have proved problematic, with these selecting to cast the Desktop, rather than the normal, tab, seemed to work..
cast1.png
cast1.png (19.25 KiB) Viewed 2304 times

Return to “Cinnamon”