How to enable "prefers-reduced-motion" in Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Level 2
Level 2

How to enable "prefers-reduced-motion" in Cinnamon

Post by Avatar1 »

Hello, I have Mint 20.3 but I can't find the setting to reduce animations and motion. This is a CSS setting and I found instructions for iOS, Windows and Gnome. Apparently if I can set this in the OS, modern browsers like Firefox will respect it when rendering web pages. I really need this setting as I have a health issue that makes me sensitive to motion. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How to enable "prefers-reduced-motion" in Cinnamon

Post by all41 »

Avatar1 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:05 pm Hello, I have Mint 20.3 but I can't find the setting to reduce animations and motion. This is a CSS setting and I found instructions for iOS, Windows and Gnome. Apparently if I can set this in the OS, modern browsers like Firefox will respect it when rendering web pages. I really need this setting as I have a health issue that makes me sensitive to motion. Thanks!
Did you look at the settings in Control Center/Appearance/Effects (2nd icon on the top row)?
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Open the file ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini in a text editor edit and make it so....

Code: Select all

[Settings]
gtk-enable-animations=false
Save, login and log out.

You probably also want to switch off all Cinnamon's Native animations - the setting module Effects have the settings for this.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Avatar1 »

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I had previously looked at the "effects" in the control centre which I didn't really consider as animations. I had some still switched on (the ones I don't mind) but I went ahead and turned all effects off.

I also went to my ~/.config/gtk-3.0 folder and created a settings.ini file (which didn't previously exist) and added the code per @smurphos

Since then, my computer has been rebooted several times, but unfortunately, "prefers-reduced-motion" is still not working in Firefox (latest version).

Any further options?

Return to “Cinnamon”