Mint-Y-VBB-Dark in Mint 21

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Mint-Y-VBB-Dark in Mint 21

Post by spamegg »

This question is aimed at Smurphos.
From https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_vanessa_c ... atsnew.php
In Cinnamon 5.4 all windows are now rendered with the GTK theme, whether they have a headerbar or not. Metacity themes are no longer used.
So... goodbye to Metacity themes!
Do you think it would be possible to somehow "manually patch" the Mint-Y-VBB buttons (the image files) from https://github.com/smurphos/Window_Borders_Mint_19 into Mint 21 and make it work with GTK?
Probably a stupid question that doesn't even make sense...
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tonywhelan
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint-Y-VBB-Dark in Mint 21

Post by tonywhelan »

I had a go at copying the VBB button images across to LM21 for Mint Y but it made no difference. I don't understand how the themes work so there was little chance I would succeed. Let's hope someone can come up with a patch.
Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon household.
If your issue is solved, please edit your first post in the topic, adding [SOLVED] to the title.
Linuxean
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Linuxean »

Im so sad about this. So many great Metacity based themes. My goto now that I have been using for many years will be unusable now.

Does anyone with experience know if there is there any way around this at all?

I've not tried Mint 21 yet... but from the screenshots on the mintblog it looks like we lose customization options for window borders too. I use a custom window borders theme to make my bars specific to my liking so this really is making me wonder if I want to upgrade to Mint 21 now.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Stay on Mint 20 for now and give the theme creators like Smurphos a chance to figure out what is possible and update their themes if at all possible. If you want to contact them, the best way is via their respective theme pages where you can leave comments (more info icon the themes Add/Remove tab) or github since you already know the direct link.

Window borders is indeed gone from the Theme dialogue
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Does anyone have any updates on this ? Anyone figure out how to either apply this VBB dark theme to where it works to adjust windows borders titlebar buttons size like before in 20.3?

Or possibly even a manual text editing option. I've tried the instructions here https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxmint/comm ... r_buttons/

but alas..it did nothing for the titlebar buttons sizes.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

I think that's it. Smurphos was last seen on August 14, 2022 closing his Window_Borders_Mint_19 repository:
Note that Cinnamon 5.4.x and later has no support for metacity themes. This repo has thus been archived.
-=t42=-
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Fair enough, I don't blame them for abandoning the theme. In reality smurphos does a heck of a lot of other work for Cinnamon Project still with spices maintenance so their time to re-learn theme creation and try to convert something for Mint 21 is fairly limited if any at all. I've no idea what they do in real life as well.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

:(

Yeah...

(Huge Laurie HOUSE MD accent)

" Maybe we can slip him a few Bennies and free his doubt that is telling him no one wants his VBB theme in LM 21 regardless of if it's a GTK or other coherently applicable theme .....path" ;)
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

I thought I was unusual, almost unique, in wanting much larger buttons within Mint's themes, but evidently I am not. I hope Clement will be persuaded that it is a desirable option?
Cliff Coggin
tonywhelan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tonywhelan »

I am staying on Mint 20.2 for now but have played with Mint 21 on a test machine

User amc6010 has a post on viewtopic.php?f=208&t=377710&start=40
His work provides coloured titlebar for the in-focus window, plus option to enlage window buttons.
see: https://github.com/the-allanc/minty-color-titles/
If your issue is solved, please edit your first post in the topic, adding [SOLVED] to the title.
tonywhelan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tonywhelan »

tonywhelan wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:12 pm I am staying on Mint 20.2 for now but have played with Mint 21 on a test machine

User amc6010 has a post on viewtopic.php?f=208&t=377710&start=40
His work provides coloured titlebar for the in-focus window, plus option to enlage window buttons.
see: https://github.com/the-allanc/minty-color-titles/
Postscript 22 Nov 2022
Installed a new build of LM Cinnamon 21 and used the above link to get window buttons 150% larger than the default. Plus love the coloured titlebar in whichever window has focus.

A big Thank You to amc6010

Return to “Cinnamon”