poor zoom quality

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jejebr
Level 1
Level 1

poor zoom quality

Post by jejebr »

Hello,

I am visually impaired, and I need to enlarge the display with the zoom function. This feature works well with Cinnamon, but unfortunately I can't get the same level of quality that I can get with Windows 10 or MacOS: the enlarged display is not as sharp, as precise.
I don't feel like it's necessarily better with other desktop environments.
Anyone have an idea on how to achieve a better quality zoomed display? Would another desktop environment than Cinnamon be better?
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: poor zoom quality

Post by mikeflan »

My display is 1920 X 1080 and at 250% zoom it looks pretty good to me:
zoom.png
Right click the pic and Open in new window. Does that look good to you? Can you post yours?
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

@jejebr,

In System Settings, Accessibility, Desktop Zoom, click Enable zoom. Then you can increase or decrease screen with (Ctrl and +) or (Ctrl and -).

Also, I have been able to zoom in my chrome browser with (Ctrl and mouse scroll wheel).

Hope that helps!
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-102 Cinn 6.0.4
andrempiva
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andrempiva »

I have also been affected by this.

I don't know what caused the change, but a few months ago the desktop zoom accessibility option on Cinnamon displayed the pixels clearly, without any filtering. But today I find it having some sort of filter/aliasing being applied to it. I can't find an option to change that.
I recently changed my graphics card from an Nvidia to an AMD one.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I sure would like to see a bad one, when zoomed to 250%. I suspect everyone here agrees that mine is not bad. Video quality is a relative thing.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Not a Cinnamon user myself but try going into settings and set the font anti-aliasing to RGB subpixel mode and set hinting to full.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

@mikeflan you are zooming a webpage in browser, not zooming the desktop environment.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Ahh. Thank you. 2 X zoom for the whole system is poor resolution for sure.

Return to “Cinnamon”