Keep losing mouse over icon popup

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MidnightMan
Level 1
Level 1

Keep losing mouse over icon popup

Post by MidnightMan »

When I hold the mouse over icons in the panel by the clock I keep losing the pop up. I reboot and its back for a few minutes then gone again until i reboot. For example the redshift icon or volume. In fact I have two panels, top and bottom. Top panel has program shortcuts, no mouse over pop ups. Also I have the weather app, no mouse over pop up.

The only one that works is biglybty which I started as soon as i rebooted and that pop up keeps working. None of the others work. Any ideas as to why it keeps happening? If any one knows a command line to restart the panels that would also be welcome although I need to understand why its happening in the first place.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Keep losing mouse over icon popup

Post by antikythera »

Possibly GPU driver versus compositor. Anyway which version of Cinnamon, what gpu and gpu driver version?
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
MidnightMan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MidnightMan »

System: Host: midnight-linux Kernel: 5.15.0-43-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Cinnamon 5.2.7
Distro: Linux Mint 20.3 Una
Graphics: Device-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
resolution: 1360x768~60Hz, 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 2000 (SNB GT1) v: 3.3 Mesa 21.2.6

Is this enough info?
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Does it still happen if you use kernel 5.4 instead of 5.15? Your system is old enough not to need kernel 5.15 and using it can cause random anomalies with older hardware such as visual glitches with it's build of i915 for example.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
MidnightMan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MidnightMan »

I'll try and get back to you.
MidnightMan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MidnightMan »

That seems to have fixed it. I will wait another day before saying solved, just in case.

Thanks
MidnightMan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MidnightMan »

I spoke 2 soon. Its back to not showing mouse over pop ups. Any more ideas?
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Turn off all the Effects?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

At first: Instead of rebooting, which means, that you loose your session, try to restart Cinnamon by pressing ctrl-alt-esc. Note, this is not a solution, but a (hopefully better) workaround.

For investigation open the login screen settings and activate the guest account. Reboot and log in as guest. Same behavior there?
MidnightMan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MidnightMan »

I'm pretty sure i found the problem. I had a semi transparent theme running. I switched to a different theme and its been alright since.
MidnightMan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MidnightMan »

Wow I was wrong. The problem is back. I really thought I had it but its not the theme. Whatever is causing it is a recent addition. I only reboot this computer after kernel updates and never switch off. So I know I the problem is recent as I use the weather applet and hold the mouse over to see when it was last updated. I haven't installed any programs recently only updated whats on the system.

Forgot to say before that restarting cinnamon fixes the problem for a while.

Thanks for any suggestions.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

as counter intuitive as it may sound, try Mint 21 for a day in live ISO and see if you can recreate the popup issue. If not, it may be worth an upgrade from Mint 20.3. the weather app has been updated so will work from the live environment properly now for testing reasons. before it failed with an undefined locale issue.

Return to “Cinnamon”