Fresh LM21: Cinnamon occasionally stops responding to input

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
The Bright Side
Level 3
Level 3

Fresh LM21: Cinnamon occasionally stops responding to input

Post by The Bright Side »

Hey guys! I completely reformatted my PC and installed a minty fresh LM21 Cinnamon on it.

Running amazing so far, just one thing. Every once in a while, all open windows will stop responding to keyboard or mouse input. I don't know any repro steps for this bug, but I think it happens when I do things in Nemo or trigger things from Nemo:

- Install a .deb
- Open a text file and save it

What happens is, the mouse continues to work and I can interact with the panel, but not with any windows. No matter where I click, nothing happens. The windows also no longer respond to any keyboard input, so e.g. no Alt-Tab or keystrokes.

I thought it was because I installed kernel 5.17 by installing linux-oem-22.04, but the issue persists after reverting to kernel 5.15.

I can work around this by restarting Cinnamon with Alt-F2 + R.

Is anybody else experiencing this? I wish I could give more precise information. FWIW, here's my system info: https://termbin.com/12f2
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The Bright Side
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Fresh LM21: Cinnamon occasionally stops responding to input

Happened again just now, right after editing a file in xed.

EDIT: and again 5 minutes later, right after joining a client's Zoom meeting.
The Bright Side
Level 3
Level 3

Happened again about 1 hour later, after copying the link of a new Zoom meeting to the clipboard.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

The Bright Side wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:36 amI can work around this by restarting Cinnamon with Alt-F2 + R.
If restarting Cinnamon helps, maybe adjusting the "restart Cinnamon when it uses too much memory" setting might help. I do not know if this changed in LM21, but in LM20.3 it is in the General app in the "Memory limit" section.

I did find a bug report relate to memory Cinnamon 5.4.x is using a lot more RAM than 5.3.x did #10900 .
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
The Bright Side
Level 3
Level 3

Ah, yes, I remember coming across this before. I setthe memory limit to 1536 (from 2048) and the interval to 100 (from 300). Let's see what happens.

Thanks! :-)

Return to “Cinnamon”