LM21 monitor doesn't power off [solved]

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mmcmonster
Level 1
Level 1

LM21 monitor doesn't power off [solved]

Post by mmcmonster »

Just did a fresh install of LM21. Kept my home directory but wiped the root filesystem.

I noticed that even though in System Settings->Power Management->Power Options I have it set to turn off the monitor when inactive for 15 minutes, the screen never turns off. The screen saver goes on as expected (I have it set for 5 minutes), but the monitor never shuts off.

I just have a single monitor and it's set as the primary monitor.

Not sure how to troubleshoot this. :?

Any thoughts?
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: LM21 monitor doesn't power off

Post by SMG »

mmcmonster wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:31 pmNot sure how to troubleshoot this. :?

Any thoughts?
It's always a good idea to provide your system information. Please open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click Copy and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware.

I would also recommend booting to a live session of Linux Mint with your install usb/dvd and see if the same thing happens.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
mmcmonster
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LM21 monitor doesn't power off

Post by mmcmonster »

Figured it out.

Turned out I had just copied a .conkyrc from the internet and had the line "xinerama_head = 1" (used in multi-monitor configurations) in it.

Since I only have one monitor, it probably confused the system and kept the monitor on all the time.

Return to “Cinnamon”