<SOLVED> No Clementine Tray Icon Since Upgrade to Mint 21 Cinnamon <SOLVED>

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Huecuva
Level 4
Level 4

<SOLVED> No Clementine Tray Icon Since Upgrade to Mint 21 Cinnamon <SOLVED>

Post by Huecuva »

I upgraded to Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon the other day using Mintupdate in the terminal. The update process succeeded but there were a few things that apparently had to be downgraded to their original versions for some reason? I don't known if that is actually the cause of this issue. Since then I have noticed that Clementine no longer has a tray icon. The option to display a tray icon in Clementine settings is enabled, as is the option to keep Clementine running in the background when closed. I had a tray icon for Clementine until I upgraded to Mint 21.

When I restart Clementine, there is an icon in the tray for a split second before it very quickly vanishes. I found an old thread on this forum about editing /usr/share/cinnamon/applets/systray@cinnamon.org/applet.js but that thread is 9 years old and clementine is mentioned nowhere in that file so I don't know if that even still applies.

Does anyone know why I don't have a tray icon and how I can fix this?

EDIT: Solved this by ditching (unmaintained) Clementine for Strawberry. Cheers.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: No Clementine Tray Icon Since Upgrade to Mint 21 Cinnamon

Post by Cosmo. »

Try this:
Open the settings for the sound applet and deactivate the option "hide system tray icons for compatible players".
Huecuva
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Huecuva »

I do not have this option anywhere in my sound settings. Where is it supposed to be?
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Well-meant slightly irrelevant comment: Clementine had been my absolute favourite Linux music player but how long ago did it get an update last time? 10 years? Get Strawberry for your music vitamins. A Clementine fork which is being actually maintained.
Huecuva
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Huecuva »

Shit. I will absolutely look into that. I definitely don't want to use software that isn't being maintained. Maybe Strawberry will even fix the tray icon issue.

Thanks, mate.

EDIT: Yeah, it looks like Clementine hasn't received a new version since 2016.

EDIT AGAIN: Strawberry did solve the tray icon issue. Alright then. To hell with Clementine. Thanks again!

EDIT YET AGAIN: Upon further research, it seems that although the actual Clementine website doesn't list a release newer than 1.3-ish from 2016, the version of Clementine available in the Mint repositories and on Github is ~1.4 from March of this year according to the Github page. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but whatever. Strawberry is as good and works and has a tray icon. Whatever.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Huecuva wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:16 pm I do not have this option anywhere in my sound settings. Where is it supposed to be?
I did not talk about the sound settings. I wrote "settings for the sound applet"
Huecuva
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Huecuva »

Cosmo. wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:48 pm I did not talk about the sound settings. I wrote "settings for the sound applet"
Right. I thought you meant clicking on Sound Settings in the left click tray menu for the music note sound icon. It's nowhere there. I just tried right-clicking and clicking on Configure... however, and it was there. If you'd mentioned configuration instead of settings, I might have found it. It's all good, though. I got rid of Clementine. It's not being maintained anymore, apparently. Strawberry is maintained and doesn't have the tray icon problem in the first place.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: <SOLVED> No Clementine Tray Icon Since Upgrade to Mint 21 Cinnamon <SOLVED>

Post by Cosmo. »

Do not forget, that not all members have English as their first language; so I re-translate in simple cases. I did not imagine, that it might give difficulties to associate settings with configuration.

Return to “Cinnamon”