Remove specific users from Authenticate screen selector

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AidenJames1995
Level 1
Level 1

Remove specific users from Authenticate screen selector

Post by AidenJames1995 »

I am looking to remove the user selector from the authenticate screen. Is there anyway to do this? I've been looking into both LightDM and AccountServices as possible solutions but can't seem to find anything in specific.

Say I have two users.... "aiden" and "User 2".... I don't want "aiden" to see "User 2" anywhere in the GUI, and I don't want "User 2" to see "aiden" anywhere in the GUI. I have already achieved part of what I want by removing the user list on the log-in screen.

The main difficulty is the prompt for password when certain actions require authentication (screenshot below):
Screenshot from 2022-08-19 06-19-11.png
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Remove specific users from Authenticate screen selector

Post by t42 »

AidenJames1995 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:33 am The main difficulty is the prompt for password when certain actions require authentication (screenshot below):
To achieve that you need to completely re-write polkit-gnome-authentication-agent, probably impossible task and makes little sense if other user can run ls /home or open /home in a file manager or have list of all users in a dozen other ways.
-=t42=-
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

You only need to go further in your example and you will see all users in Users & Groups. That besides the methods as described by t42.

Can you describe, why reading the names gives a problem?
AidenJames1995
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AidenJames1995 »

Cosmo. wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:11 am You only need to go further in your example and you will see all users in Users & Groups. That besides the methods as described by t42.

Can you describe, why reading the names gives a problem?
I stream on twitch (VTuber).... don't want to risk leaking my real name in connection with the twitch username. I have both a mint user account for personal activity and one for streaming. If I install anything while streaming I run the risk of inadvertently hitting that drop down menu.

As it is, I don't get why it's even a thing to began with. Why would I want to install something as a user other than the one I'm logged in as?
Last edited by AidenJames1995 on Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

AidenJames1995 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:51 am I install anything while streaming
This is surely not the best method.

Use the terminal for installation.

Or remove the other accounts out of the sudo group. One should be enough.

Return to “Cinnamon”