[Solved] Setting "Automatic Maintenance" by script has no effect to GUI checkbox

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
it-place
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved] Setting "Automatic Maintenance" by script has no effect to GUI checkbox

Post by it-place »

Hi,

in Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon I'm using a bash script to set the "Automatic Maintenance" to ON under Update Manager > Edit > Preferences > Automation. Therefor I'm using this command: sudo systemctl enable --now mintupdate-automation-autoremove.timer

"Automatic Maintenance" is enabled as expected but this command has now effect on the checkbox in "Update Manager". The option is still showed as OFF even if I restart the system. In older versions of LM e.g. 20.3 this wasn't a problem, the checkbox was shown correctly.

:?: Any ideas why this happened? Regards - Olli
Attachments
Screenshot from 2022-08-19 17-07-26.png
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Setting "Automatic Maintenance" by script has no effect to GUI checkbox

Post by Cosmo. »

I wonder, why you use a script at all. Do the settings and it should be good (inclusive the marked option).
it-place
Level 3
Level 3

Post by it-place »

The script is useful because it's used to setup several Linux Mint systems the same way. The script is installing additional packages, setting up the printer, setting up several Cinnamon settings... so it's very useful for us. :wink:
it-place
Level 3
Level 3

Post by it-place »

Problem solved. In Linux Mint 21 an additional file is created by setting "Automatic Maintenance" to ON:

/var/lib/linuxmint/mintupdate-automatic-removals-enabled

So in my script I had to add a touch command to that file...

Return to “Cinnamon”