Files deleted on second partition not showing in nemo trash

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Appoloin
Level 3
Level 3

Files deleted on second partition not showing in nemo trash

Post by Appoloin »

Files on the second partition when deleted aren't showing in Nemo's trashcan but the files are in the partition's .trash-1000 folder. These file are only delete from the drive when the partitions is unmounted. Is this a Nemo bug?

PS

How do I make the partition non-unmountable ?
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Files deleted on second partition not showing in nemo trash

Post by Dan-cer »

Maybe you have set in Nemo settings:
"Provide a delete command that bypasses the recycle bin" ?
How you get better results when searching for yourself.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Appoloin wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:40 am These file are only delete from the drive when the partitions is unmounted.
I cannot make sense out of this sentence, please rephrase.
Appoloin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Appoloin »

Cosmo. wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:13 am
Appoloin wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:40 am These file are only delete from the drive when the partitions is unmounted.
I cannot make sense out of this sentence, please rephrase.
The files are in the partition's .trash-1000 folder, the contents of this folder are not shown in Nemo's trashcan and they are not deleted when Nemo's empty trashcan option is used. The only time they are permanently deleted is when the partition is unmounted/ejected in Nemo.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Open Users & Groups and create a new account for testing. Reboot and log into the new account. How does it appear there?
Of course the trash folder will there be named .Trash-1001.

Besides that: Is the folder name really .trash-1000? It should be a capital T. Possibly this is the cause for your problem.
Appoloin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Appoloin »

Cosmo. wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:39 pm Open Users & Groups and create a new account for testing. Reboot and log into the new account. How does it appear there?
Of course the trash folder will there be named .Trash-1001.

Besides that: Is the folder name really .trash-1000? It should be a capital T. Possibly this is the cause for your problem.
The lower case "t" was a typo, the folder is named .Trash-1000. The delete works as expected in new account.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

So the cause for your problem is somewhere hidden in your account.
For investigating the culprit in your main account:

Open the file manager and make hidden files visible (ctrl-h).

#1 Delete the hidden folder .cache. Log out and back in and check.

The folder gets automatically recreated.

#2 If this does not help rename the folder .config to .config.renamed. Log out / in.
Very most of your settings will get lost, but you can get them back, by renaming to the original name.

Also here a new folder with default content gets created. If you later want to get back, delete this folder and rename the original folder back. Out / In.

#3 The same as #2 with .local.
Appoloin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Appoloin »

Renaming the first two folders and deleting the partition's .Trash-1000 folder seems to have got it working. One of the good things with flatpak, they don't store their files the those folders :D.
Appoloin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Appoloin »

The problem is back, I think this is a bug and it's connected to hibernation. The work around is to eject the drive and this gives you the empty trash option, when the drive is remounted the trash works as expected unit the the next hibernation/resume.
buell1125r
Level 1
Level 1

Post by buell1125r »

Has nothing to do with hibernation. It is a bug that appears to be included in nemo.

The files appear in trash after umount/mount of the partition.
buell1125r
Level 1
Level 1

Post by buell1125r »

appendix: the nemo version this appears to be a problem is 5.4.3.

The error with files from timeshift appearing double in trash is corrected, but the trash is only updated when umounting/mounting the partition. If you don't know how to do that just reboot and the files appear in trash.

I'm quite sure this is a minor problem in nemo that will be corrected soon, some error with caching the files until re-mount.
buell1125r
Level 1
Level 1

Post by buell1125r »

Seems not have been a problem with nemo. I test it after each upgrade and today it works again.

Here the updates from this morning that seem to have fixed the problem:
Screenshot from 2022-12-01 09-15-51.png
Please, can somebody confirm, then the thread can be marked asl SOLVED I suppose.
xcesar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xcesar »

I had the same problem on my system, with a partition mounted on /data. Anything that was deleted (via nemo) inside it, did not show on the trash. I had to manually delete it via command-line inside /data/.Trash-1000. What worked for me was to move /data inside /mnt, so the new path was /mnt/data, and the deleted files now show up inside the trash.

Some package versions:
linux-generic: Installed: 5.15.0.56.54
libglib2.0-0: Installed: 2.72.4-0ubuntu1
nemo: Installed: 5.4.3+vanessa
js-lmf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by js-lmf »

I faced two issues with Nemo (5.4.3) since upgrading in one go from Linux Mint 19.2 to Linux Mint 21:
  1. Files deleted from second harddrive are not showing up in trash via Nemo but are in /mnt/data/.Trash-1000. Refreshing only upon restart (didn't think of the option to unmount/mount but I guess it should have resolved it as well.
  2. Not possible anymore to drag & drop (moving/copying) files e. g. between Nemo windows.
Both was fixed (so far) by deleting .cache folder - also valid across standby of sda and full hibernate of the PC. Thank you for pointing towards this really easy fix.
  • Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon (5.4.12)
  • Kernel 5.15.0-57-generic

Return to “Cinnamon”