Cannot move Virtual Box VM windows?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dorlow
Level 1
Level 1

Cannot move Virtual Box VM windows?

Post by dorlow »

Ok, this is weird. It started a week or so ago. Once I start up a virual box vm, even though it's a window, I cannot drag and move it. I can double click on the top bar and it expands and goes back to a window. But, as a window, I cannot drag the window anywhere.

I tried using timeline to roll my computer back a week and that didn't help

I just uninstalled virtualbox and reinstalled it and have the same issue.

I noticed yesterday as I was trying to move it by clicking a ton of times, all the sudden the mintmenu process crashed. I noticed, right after that, I could move a VM for a split second. Seemed to be I had one shot at moving the window. So, I then went into the terminal and got the PID for mintmenu and killed it again and I was able to move the VM window once more for a split second.

I rolled back my timeline to a week ago. It should've been well before the problem started. (I use VMs daily on my PC.) And, to be clear, this only happens for VMs. If I have other windows open like a terminal or a web browser, those move just fine.
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Cannot move Virtual Box VM windows?

Post by ajgreeny »

What version of VBox and how did you install it?
What is the host OS, and what is the guest OS? I assume the guest is Mint, but which version

When I used VBox I always used the repos direct from the VBox website all the information for which you can find in the Debian-based Linux distributions section of https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
I am not sure if the Guest Additions, should you use them, will have any bearing on your problem but if you do install them it is essential that you make sure the GA are exactly the same version as your VBox installation; installing VBox direct from their own repos will ensure that is the case.

I am now not using VBox but KVM/QEMU instead which I find much better, though perhaps a little more complicated to get used to at first.
dorlow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dorlow »

Just noticed a new symptom. If I move another window, such as the file manager, I can then move the vm one time also. Weird.
dorlow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dorlow »

I just reinstalled virtualbox from the software manager. My host is Linux Mint. I have 3 Windows VMs. I am also building a Linux Mint VM right now and it's doing the same thing. The OS is still installing at the moment, and it's doing the same thing.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

You need to install the extension pack in VB and guest-additions in the VM.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
The Muffin Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by The Muffin Man »

...and as ajgreeny suggested, install from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
"Go ahead. I don't shop here."

Return to “Cinnamon”