Mint 21 Cinnamon - Different backgrounds on virtual desktops

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RVDowning
Level 3
Level 3

Mint 21 Cinnamon - Different backgrounds on virtual desktops

Post by RVDowning »

Is there a way on Mint 21 Cinnamon to have different backgrounds on different virtual desktops? At the moment it displays whatever background is chosen on all virtual desktops.
Last edited by LockBot on Sat May 13, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dj1s
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint 21 Cinnamon - Different backgrounds on virtual desktops

Post by dj1s »

I wrote a tutorial that might solve your issue:
[SOLVED] Customize Backgrounds, Desktop Icons for Different Workspaces (LM20.x Cinn, Mate, XFCE)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=360221

I have not tested this solution on Mint 21 yet, but I strongly suspect it will. If you try it, let me know

This tutorial (updated 2022 Mar 6) is written for Linux Mint 20.x Cinnamon, Mate and XFCE and describes how you can have Workspaces with different backgrounds and desktop icons. This tutorial also describes how to add shortcuts that allow you to navigate Desktops/Workspaces quickly.

When implemented as written, you can press alt-3, for example, to directly switch your display to Workspace 3 with all of its open applications. Desktop icons are switched to what is available in the Desk3 folder and the Background is changed to what you last selected while in Workspace 3. To switch backgrounds, simply use the default background switcher - no need to edit your scripts. The new background is automatically saved. From Workspace 3, you can use alt-right(arrow) to switch to Workspace 4 or alt-left to switch to Workspace 2.
RVDowning
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RVDowning »

Thanks. I'll try to give it a try when I get some time.
dj1s
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dj1s »

Re my tutorial, I upgraded my Linux Mint 20 to Linux Mint 21 today, and tested my scripts. No changes required.

Return to “Cinnamon”