Mint 21 Cinnamon, Incomplete directory listings

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RVDowning
Level 3
Level 3

Mint 21 Cinnamon, Incomplete directory listings

Post by RVDowning »

If one is in an application, such as Gmail, and one wants to add an attachment, the directory listing shown when one clicks on the attachment icon is incomplete. It is missing many directories. This occurs not only in Gmail, but also for example in attempting to upload a file to Google Cloud. The Open Files dialog only shows some directories. I end up having to copy the file of interest to one of the shown directories using Nemo.

An ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Tue May 16, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Mint 21 Cinnamon, Incomplete directory listings

Post by karlchen »

Hello, RVDowning.

Can you perhaps share 2 screenshots?
  • 1 screenshot, which displays the incomplete directory listing
  • 1 screenshot, how the same (complete) directory listing looks inside Nemo
Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
RVDowning
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RVDowning »

Yeah, I've been trying, but it seems the Take Screenshot app is also broken. I need to find something else to install so that I can do it.
RVDowning
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RVDowning »

Ok, I could do it using Alt PrintScreen. One is how it appears when I open Nemo. The other is how a file upload appears in everything else, including here. The screen shot was from trying to upload to YouTube.
Attachments
From Nemo.png
SelectFilesToYouTube.png
RVDowning
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RVDowning »

It looked this was working yesterday, but today it is messed up again, just showing an incomplete directory list.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, RVDowning.

Your 2 screenshots clearly show that the 2 directory listings differ and that the second listing is incomplete.
I cannot explain why it is so.
I wonder a bit whether as a workaround you would be able to navigate to your home directory /home/rvd by
+ clicking on + Other locations (screenshot #2) and
+ navigating to /home => /home/rvd.
Maybe this detour will give you a complete directory listing?

Maybe, too, it is worth reporting the issue on https://github.com/linuxmint and opening a new issue there.

A quick check here on Mint 19.3 xfce, file-manager Thunar, suggests that the same issue does not seem to occur on Mint 19.3 xfce.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
RVDowning
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RVDowning »

I had tried the "other locations" but that just brings up "Computer" which when clicked upon just brings up the main listing of directories. Clicking on the "home" directory just brings up the incomplete directories as shown above.

It is odd that it worked fine yesterday morning. Everything appeared correctly, except that it was missing two other mounted hard drives, but it did show the USB SD card.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

If one is in an application, such as Gmail, and one wants to add an attachment, the directory listing shown when one clicks on the attachment icon is incomplete. It is missing many directories. This occurs not only in Gmail, but also for example in attempting to upload a file to Google Cloud. The Open Files dialog only shows some directories. I end up having to copy the file of interest to one of the shown directories using Nemo.

An ideas?
You are not the only one who has reported this problem. I am trying to get a common application where this can be tested. I don't have gmail, or a youtube account. When I open a thunderbird e-mail and select File - Attach - File(s), I see all directories. When I hit "Add files" here on the forum I see all directories. I suspect you don't see all directories in the latter case??
fu.png
RVDowning
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RVDowning »

Well, you are out of luck today. :-( The directory listings are working, just like they did one other day. They will probably be broken again tomorrow and then I can try to find some applications that we might have in common where it is not working.
RVDowning
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RVDowning »

After today's kernel update the directory listings are again incomplete.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

karlchen wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:13 pm Your 2 screenshots clearly show that the 2 directory listings differ
These two screenshot have nothing to do with each other. The second one is a file chooser, probably browser's one, the first is Nemo and Nemo is not providing a file chooser to the application. The browser decides which file chooser to use and more likely it's the GTK file chooser. You can compare how it looks in different browsers anyway.
Issues: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/issues , namely https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/is ... ge_size=20
-=t42=-
RVDowning
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RVDowning »

ALL applications that use a file chooser are broken after this morning's kernel update. NONE of them show all directories or mounted file systems.

Return to “Cinnamon”