Different Icon in Desktop and Task bar panel

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
skyvolt
Level 1
Level 1

Different Icon in Desktop and Task bar panel

Post by skyvolt »

Hi. I would like some help.
Searched for in a lot of places but couldn't find an answer.

I created a launcher on my desktop for Thunderbird. And set an icon that I like. But when I click to open it, the icon that is shown on the task bar panel is other. It is the default launcher icon of a red rocket. Even if I set the icon in the desktop file, it won't show properly on the panel bar.

For the other icons on the desktop, it is ok. They will show the correct icon both on the desktop and task bar.

I downloaded Thunderbird from the Mozilla site and I am using it without installation. Run directly from the folder that I uncompressed it.

Thank you for any thing that my help.
Attachments
Untitled 1.pdf
(15.48 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Last edited by LockBot on Thu May 25, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Different Icon in Desktop and Task bar panel

Post by billyswong »

Slightly Offtopic: Any reason for downloading from Mozilla website directly? Thunderbird is available and usually preinstalled in Linux Mint, with update managed automatically by Linux Mint.
skyvolt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by skyvolt »

Hi. I used the version from mozilla website because the version that comes with Mint is some numbers below the latest. Well, at least, the one I was using never updated and the version was "old".

For example, the latest version as I write this, is 102.5.0. And the version shown in the software manager of Mint is 102.4.2

Thanks.
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

Looks like some issue occurred to or found by the person or team responsible for updating Thunderbird for Ubuntu...
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/thunderbird Scroll to the bottom and one can see they did know 102.5 is out. But all the stable release of Ubuntu that are in active support are still stuck in 102.4.2
http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs ... underbird/ Looks like there's a tendency of delay or skipping in Thunderbird update. There are records of Thunderbird update in upstream, but the port to various stable release of Ubuntu (which Linux Mint take on) are not done every time. For 102.x series, only 102.2.2 and 102.4.2 have been built completely so far.
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

Turns out there is a PPA that guarentee the Thunderbird is updated timely https://launchpad.net/~mozillateam/+arc ... lter=jammy
ppa:mozillateam/ppa

The only problem is it also offers Firefox package. And it will take some effort https://wiki.debian.org/AptConfiguration if one want to keep Firefox to still use the Linux Mint build.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

You created a .desktop file and changed the icon= in that to point at your icon. Items on the desktop are in $USER/Desktop. How did you then add it to the panel? What you see in the panel comes from either /usr/share/applications or $USER/.local/share/applications.

Note you can right click on an item in the panel, edit and click on the icon there to change it.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
tonywhelan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tonywhelan »

AndyMH wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:18 pm Note you can right click on an item in the panel, edit and click on the icon there to change it.
??
I find that right-clicking on an application icon in the panel doesn't allow editing of that item.
Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon household.
If your issue is solved, please edit your first post in the topic, adding [SOLVED] to the title.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

LM20.3, Cinnamon desktop, right clicking on xed in the panel:
Workspace 1_009.png
Workspace 1_009.png (91.38 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
Then clicking on edit and then clicking on the icon in the edit window:
Screenshot from 2022-11-27 10-33-50.png
If it makes any difference I use a traditional panel not the modern panel (which is the default).
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
tonywhelan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tonywhelan »

AndyMH wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:37 am LM20.3, Cinnamon desktop, right clicking on xed in the panel:
If it makes any difference I use a traditional panel not the modern panel (which is the default).
Hi AndiMH. Seems it does make a difference. You can't edit app details in the modern panel. Right-clicking just allows the option to unpin the app from the panel.
Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon household.
If your issue is solved, please edit your first post in the topic, adding [SOLVED] to the title.

Return to “Cinnamon”