Menu configuration on per user basis

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dnessett
Level 1
Level 1

Menu configuration on per user basis

Post by dnessett »

I am setting up some laptops for 5-8 grade students. I want to limit the number of applications they see in the Desktop menu. However, as system admin, I want to keep the full default menu for myself. Is there a way to edit the menu on a per user or per group basis? That is, when the students login they will see a limited menu, but when I login I will see the full default menu.
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Menu configuration on per user basis

Post by billyswong »

Menu editing is per user by default. Right click menu icon > configure > menu > open the menu editor. Then one can hide items or categories for the current user. The config is stored in ~/.config/menus/cinnamon-applications.menu and you may copy it to home folder of other users.
dnessett
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dnessett »

Thanks for the information.
dnessett
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dnessett »

I have finally gotten around to configuring student user menus. However, when I look at the path "/home/student1-58/.config/menus", I see:

root@MOLS-S58-00:/home/student1-58/.config/menus# ls -al
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 3 student1-58 students-58 4096 Jan 31 11:49 .
drwxr-xr-x 16 student1-58 students-58 4096 Jan 31 11:49 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 student1-58 students-58 4096 Jan 31 11:49 applications-merged
lrwxrwxrwx 1 student1-58 students-58 51 Jan 31 11:49 cinnamon-applications-merged -> /home/student1-58/.config/menus/applications-merged

cinnamon-applications.menu doesn't exist. Instead, there is a softlink, cinnamon-applications-merged, to a directory applications-merged.

This is the .config directory of a freshly installed user. Perhaps that makes a difference? In any case, there isn't a file I can replace.
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

Maybe recheck after you done some menu item hiding configuration?
dnessett
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dnessett »

Will do. Thanks.
dnessett
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dnessett »

To complete the latest question, for a freshly created user, the directory /home/<user>/.config/menu doesn't exist. So, I created it (i.e., the menu subdirectory) and put a pre-saved version of cinnamon-applications.menu into it. When the user logged in for the first time, the menu that appeared was that conforming to the cinnamon-applications.menu file.

Return to “Cinnamon”