Adressbar in the choose file window

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pharias
Level 1
Level 1

Adressbar in the choose file window

Post by pharias »

Hello Mint-Team,
i really do like to use your OS, as a windows replacement.
There has been nothing to complain about, but like always, you have to use a system for a longer time more intensive, before you might find an annoyance.

In this case for me it is the "choose file"-window, that opens from another program as an additional nemo-filebrowser-window, but with less options.

Maybe, that i didn´t see it, but the inability to paste in a path to a certain folder right in that "choose-file"-window, drives me nuts in my workflow.

As an example: I look down the data that i like to send inside a messenger program, inside a different window of the nemo file explorer.
What i've allways do have enabled there is the option to show me the entire path from root to my folder in clear text.
Then I open up my messenger and the choose the send/choose-file-option, because drag an drop does not work (witch isn´t that much of a deal), the "open/choose-file" window opens, but as mentiont, in this window i can´t edit the file path and just copy it over from my other window in nemo, where I've already found my files I wanted to send so it makes me search the files from my home-folder allover again.

So could you please make the "choose-file"-window appear like the normal nemo-window but with the "show-path in clear-text" option enabled too?

Thanks
Pharias
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Adressbar in the choose file window

Post by vimes666 »

So could you please make the "choose-file"-window appear like the normal nemo-window but with the "show-path in clear-text" option enabled too?
Yes, I would like that very much too.
It used to work like that some versions ago..
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I don't follow you at all.

a picture describing what you want, is worth a 1,000 words....
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

pharias wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:57 am ... In this case for me it is the "choose file"-window, that opens from another program as an additional nemo-filebrowser-window, but with less options....
I also find this a biit unclear but I think there's an issue with the bit I quoted above. The file open dialogs that pop up in Linux apps don't have anything to do with Nemo or any other file Linux file manager.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

The file picker is designed by the GTK team, not by Mint/Cinnamon/Mate/Xfce. The interface a bit less intuitive than it could have been, but it is not hopeless for your use case.

When in the open file dialog, press Ctrl+L, then paste (Ctrl+V) the folder path onto the unnamed text box, press enter.

When in the save file dialog, press Ctrl+L, then Ctrl+A, then paste (Ctrl+V) the folder path onto the "Name:" text box, press enter.
tonywhelan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tonywhelan »

And the chances of getting the GTK people to make changes to the file-picker are NIL. This issue has been around since forever.
Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon household.
If your issue is solved, please edit your first post in the topic, adding [SOLVED] to the title.

Return to “Cinnamon”